newbie advice please

• 5 Replies

me4243

newbie advice please
« on: October 30, 2011, 11:00 »
Hi,

I have been thinking about keeping chickens for a few months now and would like to ask a question.. apologies if it seems silly but if you dont ask you dont know...

I have an unused greenhouse in which is a large rabbit hutch 5 ft long with usual bedding area..

My partner thought that this might be able to be used as a night time house for the chickens, greenhouse and hutch. They will have free range of a very large garden space during the day.
I also have a free  range pet rabbit 

thought it might be able to but wasnt sure if the glass would be a problem...

any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

mr.mellow

Re: newbie advice please
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 14:12 »
I have a large 18'x10' greenhouse that had seen better days, so I took all the glass out and covered it with weldmesh. The coop is pushed up close to the greenhouse and the chickens enter through a weldmesh tunnel. One side is fitted with a potting table 14'x3' so they have that extra space to use as well . I can and do open the door so that they can freerange the garden. This works well for me as well as the chickens as I can still do my potting up in there.

izzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 15:00 »
best to take the glass out can get too hot

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 17:28 »
I have a large 18'x10' greenhouse that had seen better days, so I took all the glass out and covered it with weldmesh. The coop is pushed up close to the greenhouse and the chickens enter through a weldmesh tunnel. One side is fitted with a potting table 14'x3' so they have that extra space to use as well . I can and do open the door so that they can freerange the garden. This works well for me as well as the chickens as I can still do my potting up in there.

Excellent use of an old greenhouse. I like it :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

silkiechick

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 13:46 »
I thought about at doing this as winter housing for my chickens but noticed that the greenhouse gets a lot of condensation which I understand is bad for them?  Also I was a bit concerned about the glass as a fox might try to get in (one stunned itself running at my sister's patio door which is thicker than the glass you get in a greenhouse).  In the end I'm building a new run with polycarbonate and mesh  :)

stan deakin

• Stan's Bantams
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 13:59 »
i personally think the green house will be fine just leave a bit of small amount of air space for them a mate of mine who is sadly now gone kept his bantams in a green house for years

deak

xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
Newbie-advice please?

Started by bizkaz on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 04, 2008, 13:37
by Bodger
xx
Newbie Needs Advice

Started by kyz1981 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 23, 2012, 17:34
by kyz1981
xx
Newbie needs advice!

Started by Dannii on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post June 05, 2008, 08:32
by Dannii

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 35 queries.