Winter Feeding

• 2 Replies

PaulineM

Winter Feeding
« on: October 22, 2010, 18:34 »
Hi   :)
As the nights are drawing in I am noticing that it is harder to get my girls to eat their corn in the afternoon.
My 6 girls are spoilt in that they have a coop inside a stable so as its getting colder they are venturing out less and less.   :nowink:
I usually lead them from the stable to the end of my garden to get their corn but this afternoon they hardly stayed out at all to eat their corn. The stable floor is thickly covered with 'all bed' think its the same as easibed. So if its very cold and they don't want to leave the stable should I give them their corn in a bowl or would it be alright to throw it on the bedding? I don't want to encourage them to eat the bedding, so what do you think?  ???
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

ehs284

Re: Winter Feeding
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 19:50 »
Hi,
Suggest try to keep it in a bowl and, if possible, on a tray so that scattered food can be picked up. If there is food in the bedding you're likely to attract rats in the winter. The birds will probably not worry about a mouse, but a rat is a serious problem.

orchardlady

Re: Winter Feeding
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 19:55 »
As suggested a bowl within a tray is an excellent idea. Try using a nice large tray with good deep sides, something like a potting tray, you can buy them at garden centres so they don't scratch the corn out too much. Of course empty the bowl and tray for the night and replenish the next day. Your girls sound as if they have luxury accommodation. Lucky girls. :)

xx
question about winter feeding/letting out times

Started by newatthis on The Hen House

28 Replies
Last post October 15, 2010, 19:43
by Fisherman
xx
Feeding

Started by debih on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 21, 2011, 12:21
by debih
xx
Hen feeding

Started by babradburn on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 17:59
by compostqueen
xx
feeding mum

Started by agingchick on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 02, 2009, 12:51
by agingchick

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 38 queries.