A Little help with my hen

• 4 Replies

Spanish Girl

A Little help with my hen
« on: October 22, 2010, 15:55 »
Can anyone give me some advice.  I have six hens here in spain in the back garden they have lots of space and are well looked after etc etc.  I have on hen that I think may be broody, but she has been in this state for about 3 months.  All day she sits in here next box apart from when I take her out for food and drink and to take eggs which the other 5 are still laying in there.  When she does come out the others bully her endlessly, her comb has gone very small compared to others and her legs are very yellow where as the others are quite pale.  She seems to be eating and drinking ok.  Is this broody or should I worry about something else and does anyone know how long it will last?

Many thanks

Spanish Lady

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: A Little help with my hen
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 16:49 »
It does sound like she's broody, but my what a long time to be broody!  Our silkies are always broody, but they do have breaks in between of several days or a week.

The others are probably bullying her because she won't be up to her normal strength even though she is eating a drinking when she does go out.

Really you should try to make her life really uncomfortable for a bit to knock it out of her.  We sometimes put ours in a metal animal cage, inside their normal run so the others can still see her.  Just give her food and water but no goodies.  If the weather is fair she could stay there overnight, but I usually put ours back in with the other girls at night then back in the cage next morning.  some people say giving them a cool bath works, but I've never tried that one!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 18:08 »
that is a long time to be broody - the longest one of mine has been broody has been for 2 months and then she just gave up being broody and gone into a full moult - no doubt she will go broody again in spring  ::)  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 19:34 »
I agree with what Joyfull and Grannie Annie have said.  I also wanted to welcome you to the forum.   :)  bienvenido
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 22:40 »
Oh yes, sorry Spanish Girl!   WELCOME from me too!!!!   :D :D

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 29 queries.