Eating habits

• 13 Replies

Chookaholic

• Experienced Member
Eating habits
« on: August 27, 2008, 22:33 »
Mt chooks free range 3/4 of the day,eating a variety of worms,bugs,grass,plants etc.In the afternoon I give them a beaker size pot of mixed corn.For odd treats they have live maggots from the fishing tackle shop ( apparently alot of chook owners go to his shop for maggots,they are cheaper than meal worms )The first 1/4 of the day they are in their run,which is where they have their feeder with layers pellets in.
However,they don't seem to eat many layers pellets at all.Only a few.This is why I leave them in the run for th first 1/4 of the day,to encourage them to eat them for breakfast when they are hungry.But they only have the odd peck.I will have had them a week tomorrow,& their feeder hasn't gone down much at all.
The lady I got them from only fed them mixed corn,& when I asked about layers pellets ( they were 19wks when I got them ) she said she was just starting to introduce them.Is this why they don't like them,or is it because they are mainly free range they are getting what they need from eating stuff in the garden :?:
I do try to mix the pellets with the corn,but they peck all the corn out & leave the pellets! Any advice will be welcomed  :D
Queenie - Bella - Mabel - Clara

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Eating habits
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 22:43 »
Sounds to me that they are a) not used to them b) know that they can get free range goodies later in the day.

Mine are the opposite if I fill the feeder why they are out in the garden they all come bombing back in for some pellets  :roll:

I'd not mix the corn in as like you say just pick out the corn. You could be mean and feed them nothing but pellets for a few days and not let them out of the run either so they have no choice, but I bet they will protest loudly at the latter  :lol:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Chookaholic

• Experienced Member
Eating habits
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 22:51 »
I'm sure they will protest,I've noticed that as soon as I gave them a taste for freedom,they pace the boundries of their run,giving annoyed clucks,until I let them out! :lol:
If I don't make an issue of it,do you think that they will get enough nutrients for them to lay properly :?: I think it's partly a) & b),but they always go to bed with big crops & they fill their faces all day in the garden!I just worry they might be missing out on all the good stuff to help them lay properly,which the layers pellets contain.What do you think :?:
Thanks for your reply richyrich7

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
Eating habits
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 23:23 »
Hello there chookaholic, my younger girlies are well behaved and eat their pellets in the morning, my ambers which ive had for 3 weeks are not so keen especially paxo who by-passes the feeder and paces up and down waiting for mixed corn, which she hoovers up!! I was told that the layers pellets should be available all day and only a handful of corn in the afternoon, if they dont eat many pellets to make sure they have plenty of oyster shell,  if they are free ranging they are getting green stuffs and buggy protein! I cant see another way of making them eat the pellets but someone may have some ideas which i could use too with my paxo! good luck
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

orfy

• Experienced Member
Eating habits
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 23:33 »
it#s been suggested that you add a little warm water.
Turns it to a semi mash.

Chickenstreet

Eating habits
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 03:03 »
When they go off pellets I mix some in with their porridge once it has cooled down - they can't get enough of it.   :)
My Blog:Only Us Chickens

Chookaholic

• Experienced Member
Eating habits
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 22:29 »
Thanks for your suggestions,will try them.I got my first proper egg 2day!I ate it for dinner! :D The shell was ok,so they must be eating something good! :D

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Eating habits
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 22:34 »
are they laying yet, chookaholic?

if so, you really need to get them to lay off the treats (free ranging and eating bugs is fine but not so much of the corn) otherwise they'll not get enough grit to form shells and would probably not produce as many eggs, on top of just becoming fat little chookies!

Mine haven't had treats in ages except for the odd bit of lettuce that I've pulled because it's gone past it's best and they always have full crops from eating their pellets and they also free range all day long.

Chookaholic

• Experienced Member
Eating habits
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 22:52 »
hi
yes they are just starting to lay,i had my 1st proper eggy 2day :D Before that i had 1 soft shell & one yolk in just a sack.They were both from the same chook.They LOVE their corn in the afternoon,infact they attack me for it!!They sit on my shoulders,everything! :lol: But sounds like I'll have to deprive them!!The lady i got them from only fed them corn,so they're not keen on layers pellets.They eat a minimal amount,but they prefer to forage in the garden or mug me for corn!I wish they would eat more pellets cos i'm worried they won't get enough nutrients to lay properly

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Eating habits
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 19:04 »
yep, you're right about the nutrients for laying - they simply won't get enough if eating pellets is optional for them

Don't feel bad about it though - probably the reason one was laying soft eggs was because she wasn't getting enough pellets in the first place and it's really uncomfortable for them to lay a soft egg (and not to mention a pain to clean up for you) so you'd be doing them a favour.

just like with kids, treats should only be occasional, otherwise they're not treats, they are expected!

Chookaholic

• Experienced Member
Eating habits
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 22:44 »
Very true suzi,they expect it now! :shock: I got another good egg today,i wish i knew which one it is for sure!I have my suspisions :lol: Thanks for the good advice :D

Robin Redbreast

• Experienced Member
    • http://alandkell.blogspot.com/
Eating habits
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 00:12 »
i have never had a problem with soft eggs until i gave them too much corn. my plan now is 75% feed and 25% corn i dont use layers as they are full of fishmeal and that comes out in the taste so i use crumb and corn and dig there space over every two days my eggs are fantastic! the beauty of crumb is no artificials that is if ya can find a farmer that is willing to mix ya some up, as new legislation has made it hard my chooks are as healthy as poss and the eggs, well beyond taste description!!!!!
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :wink:
Little Robin Readbreast
Sat upon a rail.
Niddle, naddle went his head;
Wiggle, waggle went his tail.

Chookaholic

• Experienced Member
Eating habits
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 23:29 »
What's crumb?Is that like layers mash?or chick crumb? :oops:  :?:

Robin Redbreast

• Experienced Member
    • http://alandkell.blogspot.com/
Eating habits
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2008, 10:08 »
yeah it is a form of chick mash but made straight from the farmers seeds and harvest :lol:

xx
Bad sleeping habits and an ill hen

Started by nate123 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 14, 2010, 16:19
by Sassy
xx
Hen not eating

Started by Ma Lowe on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post September 17, 2009, 21:11
by kitkat
xx
Not eating

Started by Bennett on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 20:23
by Bennett
xx
Hen not eating

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 06, 2010, 21:13
by SusieB

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 28 queries.