Storing potatoes

• 5 Replies

cheshiredigger

Storing potatoes
« on: November 26, 2011, 11:18 »
I am a relatively new gardner and have had a good crop of potatoes this year so I lifted them, sorted out any damaged ones and allowed them to dry off before putting into heavy paper sacks. Initially they were stored in the garage but with the threat of frost I put them in the cellar which has no natural light and is probably about 15degs and certainly frost free.

Yesterday I went to get some of the white variety only to discover that they are spurting. The reds are not.
What can I do?

Nikkithefoot

Re: Storing potatoes
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 11:24 »
Not a lot unfortunately, apart for moving them to a cooler place. The absurdly warm weather has started a lot of things growing when really they shouldn't.

I would have thought the spuds would be fine in a closed garage as unless there is a mega severe frost or weather like last year.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 11:27 »
Try for cool. If the garage is cooler stick them back in there for now.

Go through the sprouting ones, remove the sprouts and re-bag. Use those first. Save the reds till later.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 20:15 by Paul Plots »
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Gandan57

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 11:31 »
Your cellar is certainly too warm to store potatoes long term, you need to return them to the garage, but with the temperatures we are experiencing at the moment, even out there they may continue to sprout.

We buy potatoes by the 25 kg sack and they stay in our garage with just a few being brought indoors just before consumption.

It would take a severe prolonged frost to affect potatoes in a garage, as you can insulate the bags with other materials.
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 19:34 »
I would open the paper bags so they can breathe.. they prefer to be in hessian if you can get... but they will still sprout on a hottish year like we are having.. Ebay for hessian sacks..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 16:51 »
 whats said is basically correct i store our potatoes in our greenhouse on a pallet so there off the ground the greenhouse is rat and mice proof some are  in paper and some in hessian bags

i cover with old hessian sacks leaving space for ventilation if it gets very frosty i cover up an old thick carpet if its a good crop like this year they should last us till about March

i find its best to check the bags of potatoes periodically for bad ones and strip all the shoots off when they start shooting also i grade my Tate's small ones in bags and large ones separately in bags the very small discard

xx
storing new potatoes

Started by chickpeacurry on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post July 08, 2014, 22:20
by grinling
xx
storing potatoes

Started by Dopey113 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post August 14, 2012, 12:08
by Dopey113
xx
storing potatoes

Started by Flump on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post June 07, 2011, 17:52
by Trillium
xx
Storing potatoes - am I doing it right?

Started by zestymordant on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post September 03, 2012, 09:39
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 38 queries.