Intoducing newcomers

• 3 Replies

Tykelad

Intoducing newcomers
« on: September 08, 2009, 15:07 »
Hi all,
am new to this and need to ask a question.
I have my chicken house, run and 5 sussex cross banties (all sisters). I bought these approx 4 weeks ago and they aren't at P/O/L yet so wanted to get a couple of chickens that are (hopefully point the way for the others). I have just been to a local supplier and bought a couple of warrens.
My question is, i have just put all together and the bigger warrens are getting battered by the resident 5. I assume they will sort out the "pecking order" and soon settle down. How long will it take ? Quite distressing to watch really.

Thanks in advance.

steaders

Re: Intoducing newcomers
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 15:25 »
Hi Tykelad

We had the same problem when one of our original 4 died and the breeder gave us a beautiful Black Rock as a replacement. We were horrified when our lovely chicks turned into demons in an instant and had to rescue our poor newcomer, We got lots of good advice on here and we kept an eye on things the second day armed with a water spray for the bullies. That night we put her in the nest box with a mesh divider between her and the other 3 and by the end of day 3 the bullying had decreased to a very occasional peck. We have now had for 10 days and she is definitely one of the gang. Not a pleasant experience but as everyone seems to go through it I guess it's just chooks being chooks and we are enjoying ours once again. Good luck!

Steaders OHjavascript:replaceText('%20:)',%20document.forms.postmodify.message);

Happy Hens

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 16:37 »
 :tongue2: hi your'll be surprised how quickly they soon get in to a pecking order. Chooks can be quick horrible to one another  :lol: When I introduce a new hen or hens. I put them in a pen for a week in the area I intend to place them in later with the hens I already have. That way the old hens can walk around the pen with the new girls in and get to know them before putting them in together. This way its not so distressing for them and for you to watch and I dont know how other people do it but I find when I do put them together it's at bed time, so when you let them all out in the morning and feed them it seems to help.  :nowink: :nowink: :nowink:
Happy Hens Make Garden Friends

jo40

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 20:44 »
Hi
I also put my newcomers into the area, but surround them with mesh so they can all see each other and have a few spats but not 'get physical'. It seems to ease them in, then after a few days when they have all stopped squaring up to each other I put them in the main house at night. :)

xx
A newcomers three questions

Started by Hattie10 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2009, 00:45
by iwantanallotment
xx
Unwelcome newcomers

Started by Pig Cat on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 18, 2012, 10:35
by Pig Cat

Page created in 0.287 seconds with 35 queries.