poorly hen

• 17 Replies

yacks

poorly hen
« on: May 26, 2012, 00:50 »
one of my hens has been mouthbreathing. when she lies down i feel distressed for her as it seems like she is struggling to breath.. when she stands it is not as bad but still mouth breathing ... i took her to farm where i bought her and explained to him what she was doing and he gave me some anti biotic to give her ... she has had it now but is still the same ... she is eating drinking but i have not seen any eggs of her ...
if any one has any idea as too what i do next as i feel useless not being able to help  :( ...
i have got a new wormer it is pellets just in case this is the cause ..

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: poorly hen
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 07:48 »
I would worm them then if that doesn't work get them to a vet as it could be a respiratory infection.
Staffies are softer than you think.

yacks

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 19:44 »
it has been a few weeks since my hen has had antibiotics and the huffing and puffing has stopped... been wormed ... however she now has a very pale cone and around her eyes is really pale ... her eyes are not bright and she sleeps most of the day standing on her own .... there is no vet near us that will actually see to my hens just the farm that i got her from that will see them ..... any ideas would be helpful to see her back to herself ... thank you xxx

helens-hens

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 13:24 »
Is your hen still eating & drinking?
Helen

yacks

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 19:07 »
Have spent most of day with hen she is eating a little and drinking less ... I have thoroughly checked her all over and found her mouth smells disgusting and her crop is squishy ... Have followed what was put on here for sour crop and yucky is all I can say !! ... Have been giving girls yoghurt so not sure if giving them more would help ...? Gonna go to farm hopefully tomorrow and see if they have anything to give her ...  Would the medicine she had gave contributed to sour crop or would it be just food ?

yacks

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 11:40 »
have been to pet shop and back to farm ... the pet shop had something for sour crop in pigeons so got that ... it is charcoal .. the farm has nothing at all to help just to massage her crop whilst she is upside down ... i have been doing this for three days and giving her yoghurt ( a meal worm yoghurt) she wont eat it other wise lol .... gave her some of the charcoal there is apple cider vinegar in water and garlic in feed ( i do cider twice a week and garlic is mixed in with feed) ... her crop is a lot smaller today still putty like but not as much vomit coming out ... i dont know which of these things i have done have help or the combination of them xx

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 12:39 »
Glad she is improving yacks you are doing a grand job.  The crop could be blocked low down so keep up the treatment until you are happy it has all gone.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

yacks

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 16:32 »
Bought  my girl in today as she seems a lot worse even though her crop is still not as big as it was and only getting a small amount of fluid coming out when I massage her crop ... It doesn't smell as bad as it did or I have got used to the smell ... She has been in all day and hasn't eaten anything including her favorite treat of raisins ... Have tried to give her the yoghurt charcoal and nothing ... She is drinking and sleeping standing up looking very depressed ... Gonna try and find a vet tomorrow not sure if I can as no-one around here will deal with hens or charge the earth. Hoping she pulls through as  she is my favorite

jhub

• jane
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 19:25 »
It might be worth trying anti fungal drops such as nystatin if it is sour crop. Fingers crossed.

yacks

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 19:31 »
Spoke to vet and he won't order it until he sees her ... She has not eaten today just drunk ... She has lost so much condition and looks so pitiful ...  Keeping fingers crossed she makes the night the state she is in ...

jhub

• jane
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 21:31 »
I'm not for one minute suggesting you do this but in another forum a member was desperately trying to keep alive one of her hens which had a persistent sour crop. She bought a Canestan pessary , cut off a small piece and fed it to her hen( (yes really!) She repeated process daily for a few days and bird survived.
Hope your hen survives the night.

yacks

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 22:27 »
I have been on net most of evening trying to see if anything from chemist would helP ... Never see that though ... Have made her vomit and she has stood up now ... Gonna give her some yoghurt and ring vet in morning ... She has eaten a blue berry lol didn't think she could hold out with it by her beak love her ... Xx

jhub

• jane
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 00:29 »
Found the link, she used anti fungal suppository.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/630307/sour-crop-cured-with-monistat

cheekychick22

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 11:08 »
What about live maggots thid helped mine after advice u can get them from a tackle shop

yacks

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 17:08 »
After nearly a week of keeping my girl indoors spoon feeding her she really picked up ... Then yesterday she was really quiet and today she passed away.  How devastating. I will say if any of my others get it then to vet and if not cleared in first few days will get vet to end their suffering .  :(

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
Poorly hen

Started by indigo on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 10, 2011, 16:55
by helens-hens
xx
A poorly hen...

Started by bob-the-chick on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 14:00
by bob-the-chick
xx
Where do you put a poorly hen?

Started by AnimalFriend on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 15, 2018, 09:02
by New shoot

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 40 queries.