Allotment pizzas

• 11 Replies

Bohobumble

• Experienced Member
  • Location: Bucks allotment. Heavy clay. Hardiness zone 8a. Ave last frost 1st-10th Apr. First Frost 1st-10th Nov
Allotment pizzas
« on: August 16, 2015, 11:18 »
I like to make my own pizza bases and have done so for a while now, these bases hade a third white, third rye and a third wholemeal flour.

Anyways, I love adding toppings I have grown or made myself (I used up cheese in the fridge rather than made my own mozzarella this time tho). This approach makes every pizza different.

The 'sauce' was allotment grown parsley, spring onion, garlic, sweet pepper, chili pepper whizzed up in a blender with olive oil and lemon juice.

Toppings were beetroot and courgette with Camembert and the other was smoked cheese and tomatoes (lots of varieties). I wanted to add thinly sliced new potato as that's very yummy, but there wasn't enough room in the end.

Does anyone else make allotment pizza?

Sorry folks, I'm not allowed to post the pics for your delectation as the limit is 1000 thingumy's

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Allotment pizzas
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 14:04 »
Toppings can be weird and wonderful, whatever takes your fancy is good!  :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 18:44 »
You can reduce the size of your photos BohoBumble, if you want to share your goodies  ;)

I love home made pizzas, and what goes on top is always a bit of a surprise. Never added beetroot though ( Why didn't I think of that????) so thank you for the tip  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 22:19 »
Achochas, fried aubergine, padron peppers are favourite toppings over in Surbie Heights. Plus lumps of boiled chicory leaves (nicer than it sounds!), loads of garlic and tomato sauces in the years that there are loads, like this one.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 11:06 »
Never added beetroot though

Cooked sliced beetroot is very good with goats cheese crumbled over the top, then rocket or fresh herbs scattered over as the pizza comes out of the oven  :)

The same treatment can also be used on slices of grilled courgette (brush with oil then grill).

Bohobumble

• Experienced Member
  • Location: Bucks allotment. Heavy clay. Hardiness zone 8a. Ave last frost 1st-10th Apr. First Frost 1st-10th Nov
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 20:37 »
I very thinly sliced the beetroot whilst raw (pepperoni thin) and made sure it was on the top, they cooked perfectly in the oven ;)

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 23:20 »
My allotment marguerita pizza made in my own clay pot pizza oven - on the allotment

https://flic.kr/p/wE4Z2E

and the 'oven'

https://flic.kr/p/wVWtLY
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

chrissie B

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 19:43 »
I like doing my own as well but the bottom never gets as brown as i would like what position on the oven do you cook yours.
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 19:54 »
You need a pizza stone for perfectly brown bottoms  ;)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 21:01 »
Yep! Pizza stone sprinkled with a little semolina will get you a brown bottom  ::)

Bohobumble

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 23:27 »
I preheat the oven, at maximum temperature possible, the base is really thin, on one of those silicone sheets just on the shelf at its highest setting.

I get a brown base if I follow that, I have used both semolina and polenta, that gives a good texture and helps brown also, but only if I want that dominoes effect.

compostqueen

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 23:03 »
I love making my own pizzas, and using your own ingredients is just THE best  :tongue2:  Onions, garlic, chillies, courgettes, tomatoes. Beetroot and goats cheese is fab!   You can make your own red onion marm and then use that spread on top of your pizza base, as a change from tomato paste. It's lovely  :ohmy:

I make pizzas in my Panasonic microwave/combi oven which comes with a pizza pan and it makes just perfect pizzas :)

xx
BBQ at the allotment

Started by Jake on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post July 04, 2006, 13:16
by Oliver
thumbup
Allotment Soup

Started by JulieP on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post September 16, 2009, 17:54
by Christine
xx
Anybody have an allotment in Newbury?

Started by soaplady on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post August 11, 2012, 20:26
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 39 queries.