Advice needed on chick

• 4 Replies

karenkte

Advice needed on chick
« on: May 30, 2012, 15:12 »
Our silkie hen hatched a chick just over a week ago.  The other day another hen...a warren ran off with the chick ....we were there and able to rescue the chick...it is now in a fastened cage inside the hen house with its mother.  However when I look at its feet one foot is normal and all black coloured with claws....the other foot looks damaged.....2 of the claws look ok but the other 3 just look like ragged string.....so I think the hen has pecked its feet and damaged them.  When the chick walks it falls down on one side and can't walk properly
I am really really upset about this.  We now know we should have kept them separate
What can I do.
I am thinking of maybe taking to the vet...but do people take chicks to a vet?  Will they be able to do anything...or should I leave it to nature.  A neighbouring allotment holder has told me to kill the chick...which I can't bear the thought of...but neither do I like to see it hobbling about falling over.
advice apprecaited

Casey76

Re: Advice needed on chick
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 15:17 »
If the chick is falling all the time due to the lack of toes, then I'm sorry, but I would cull it.  It is far kinder to do this, then "leave it to nature" which might mean being picked up by a predator, or going hungry becasue it can't keep up with mum.

It will be much easier to do this now, than in a couple of weeks when it will be bigger.

PaulineM

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 17:16 »
Can you upload a pic of the chicks foot, maybe its not as bad as you fear  :)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

kegs

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 19:34 »
I agree with PaulineM.  Upload a photo so we can see.

I had a chick who was attacked by a rat (see, we've all made mistakes!).  It had a badly cut leg and two toes.  It couldn't put any weight on the leg for over a week and eventually the ends of the two toes dropped off.  However with plenty of time and tlc it slowly managed to walk again albeit with a bit of a hobble.

rosie14

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 21:07 »
I would suggest you take it to a vet for a consultation and get their advice if you really want to give the poor little thing a chance. Giving it time is also an option but don't let it suffer, although I'm sure you wouldn't.

sad
Advice needed - chick not well!!

Started by fluffy chicks mum on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 27, 2012, 22:52
by fluffy chicks mum
xx
Advice needed for egg/chick

Started by grinling on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 30, 2014, 21:40
by grinling
xx
Urgent chick advice needed

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 11, 2008, 09:36
by Vember
xx
Help advice needed Sick chick "I think"

Started by babaloo151070 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 08, 2012, 08:24
by Sassy

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 35 queries.