gobsmacked

• 13 Replies

happyclucker

gobsmacked
« on: August 13, 2009, 17:19 »
me and the wife are totally gobsmacked. we are new to chicken keeping , and we have got four hens.we often sit and watch the chickens in the afternoon cos it is very entertaining and today they excelled themselves by catchin a mouse and eating it. now thats entertaining. but is it normal? can anyone advise please?

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
Re: gobsmacked
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 17:24 »
Hello happyclucker! this is completely normal (mine go mad ) and they are partial to frogs too i have been told!  :lol:
Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

happyclucker

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 17:32 »
thanks chickenlady, ours went mad too it was like a relay race they kept nicking it of eachother. totally fascinating,  we are really loving keeping chickens.

cochin

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 18:39 »
Mine love mice, and when the little frogs hatched out in our pond they stupidly went past the Vorverks cage on their way to the river, not many made the river :ohmy: hens scoffed the lot, the most revolting though I saw in France, someone had buried their day old male chicks and the others dug them up and ate them too :ohmy:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 18:54 »
I can testify to the fact that they love a frog for tea  :ohmy:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=5300.msg61771#msg61771

dizzylizzie

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 19:25 »
amazing photos :D

too many girls

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 19:44 »
having just viewed the photo's i said "yuk", pip who was eating her pizza said "what" so i told her "Aunty's hen killed and ate a frog" she said "what frog?" so i said "any frog i don't know"  she then said "i thought you said Aunty's frog had eaten her hen" i showed her the photo's, pizza anyone?

guppy02

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 20:02 »
I love watching them finding worms thats fun as well.

However they didnt know what to do with the snails!!

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 09:04 »
RE frogs - it is amazing how far two hens can stretch a frog when they're fighting over it!!
They can be really viscious little so and sos' ::) :blink:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

tode

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 09:11 »
I presume you have French hens  :lol:

cochin

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 09:22 »
I'm french and some of my hens are french breeds - shame you can't teach a hen just to eat the frogs body and leave the legs :D what is the funniest though is hens flighting over a snake or even when the find a nest of snakes - it's difficult to believe the length of the snake when they're done with it

nzdunn

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 11:39 »
My girls have become particually partial to snails, when im poo picking everynite i find snail shells broken everywhere.   I love that piccy with them all looking at the plate full of snails     nickyx

bexy

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 14:11 »
While digging up my potatoes yesterday which is easier sad than done with 5 hens jumping on the garden fork :mad:  I unearthed a large worm which the winning hen ran off with like mad followed very closely by another hen.
The poor worm ended up being stretched 5 times it's length as the hens had a end each in a tug of war....worm snapped in half...ewwww!!!! ???

guppy02

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 18:38 »
My girls have become particually partial to snails, when im poo picking everynite i find snail shells broken everywhere.   I love that piccy with them all looking at the plate full of snails     nickyx

Its a committee they can't decide what to do with them.

Page created in 0.699 seconds with 34 queries.