cut flowers

• 21 Replies

floydfan1

cut flowers
« on: September 21, 2015, 18:16 »
Hi All, I have just taken over a small allotment and would like to concentrate on growing cut flowers. Does anyone have any tips on what varieties I should consider.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: cut flowers
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 19:33 »
Dahlias are classic cut flowers.  I found that cerinthe purpurescens (spelling?) was very prolific although quite soft in the stem.

And of course sweet peas  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 20:55 »
Perhaps try some gladioli and dwarf sunflowers?

Flowertot

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 09:18 »
Hello Floydfan and welcome. In addition to these good suggestions, I love growing several different colours of scabious, cosmos, cornflowers and zinnias.

Eblana

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 09:20 »
I have just taken on a second Allotment and aim to concentrate on cut flowers on it.  I am hoping to have flowers for most of the year so the following are what I have planned.

Larkspur, Delphinium, Gladioli, Chrysanthimums, Sunflower (Dwarf), Dahlias, Bells of Ireland, Sweet Pea, Pinks, Peony (sp?) Roses, Lilies, Corn Flowers, Echinacea, Rudibeckia, cosmos, zinnias and I also have bulbs for Daffs and Tulips for the spring.

I know there are a lot there but plan on having a small amount of each.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 09:41 »
I notice two posters have mentioned dwarf sunflowers, but I grow tall, multiheaded varieties like Velvet Queen, Earth Walker and Lemon Yellow, and these grow masses of long stemmed side shoots which make excellent vases of cut flowers. They keep us going for weeks and weeks.

I can really recommend giving them a go  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Eblana

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 11:55 »
I notice two posters have mentioned dwarf sunflowers, but I grow tall, multiheaded varieties like Velvet Queen, Earth Walker and Lemon Yellow, and these grow masses of long stemmed side shoots which make excellent vases of cut flowers. They keep us going for weeks and weeks.

I think I might give some of these a go.

Flowertot

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 23:04 »

Now see that's exactly why I love this forum  :D. I grow Vanilla Ice and Valentine sunflowers because they have multiple stems for vases - but now that I've looked at Sunny's suggestions, I shall just have to try them next year :) ::)

Suziet8

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 07:15 »
Don't know if asters count as a cut flower but my 10p pack of seeds from Wilkos produced many tubs of colourful flowers. Will try again next year in an allotment bed.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 08:34 »
Calendula are easy and come in a huge range of colours now and sweet rocket is another dead easy one and good for taller spike of flowers for the back of the vase, or just a big blowsy vase all on its own  :)

jaydig

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 11:09 »
I love to grow Bells of Ireland as they have a wonderful, soft scent, as well as being very useful to provide a contrast to other flowers.  The old fashioned, perennial blue scabious will also give flowers all summer long, and they too have a lovely, delicate perfume.

Eblana

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 13:20 »
I love to grow Bells of Ireland as they have a wonderful, soft scent, as well as being very useful to provide a contrast to other flowers.  The old fashioned, perennial blue scabious will also give flowers all summer long, and they too have a lovely, delicate perfume.

Sorry if I am going off topic but Jaydig could you give me some advice on how best to grow Bells of Ireland (planting time etc).  Last year I tried sowing them in modules in a heated propagator but only got three germinating and they all died after pricking out.

jaydig

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 13:57 »
They can be a bit temperamental, but I just throw the packet of seeds into my freezer and leave them there for about a month, then sow them in a heated propagator, usually about the beginning of April.  This year I had really good germination, but it does seem to vary.  They're so nice to have as a cut flower that it's always worth having a go.

Eblana

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 18:10 »
They can be a bit temperamental, but I just throw the packet of seeds into my freezer and leave them there for about a month, then sow them in a heated propagator, usually about the beginning of April.  This year I had really good germination, but it does seem to vary.  They're so nice to have as a cut flower that it's always worth having a go.

Thanks jaydig I will try the freezer this year, I only had them in the fridge for two weeks.

Flowertot

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 23:41 »
I too have had trouble germinating Bells of Ireland  :(. I put them in the freezer for a couple of weeks but none germinated. Perhaps it's because I just put them in a cool plastic blowaway instead of a heated propagator?  :unsure: I would love to be able to grow them.

xx
Cut Flowers

Started by pipfit on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post March 04, 2015, 17:18
by Kristen
xx
Bay flowers

Started by Spana on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 19:16
by sunshineband
xx
sun flowers

Started by celtbhoy on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post April 14, 2007, 09:42
by WG.
xx
Sun flowers

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post July 23, 2023, 16:01
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 39 queries.