Pictures of My New Girls

• 16 Replies

newchickenkeeper

Pictures of My New Girls
« on: June 20, 2013, 10:32 »
Thought I would add some pictures of my new girls. Got them on Tuesday and they are settling great - I LOVE how nosey that are :). Please ignore allthe weeds in the fower bed lol, obvisouly I am not a very good gardener :)
hens 1.JPG
hens 2.JPG
hens 3.JPG
hens 4.JPG
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 10:35 by newchickenkeeper »

splash101

Re: Pictures of My New Girls
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 11:58 »
They are lovely.

Dont worry about the weeds, the chickens will soon sort them out, probably take all you plants as well though  :D

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 12:29 »
What lovely girls.  They will help you with weeding but it would be best to pull up the long grasses as it can cause impacted crop.

I will pop this on Chicken Chat.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

newchickenkeeper

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 13:25 »
 :ohmy: impacted crop! I never new this - thank you for mentioning - I will go and remove this now. Any grass over say 2 inches do you think?

Springlands

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 13:28 »
They are lovely - you will find yourself spending ages just watching them.  :)

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 13:34 »
:ohmy: impacted crop! I never new this - thank you for mentioning - I will go and remove this now. Any grass over say 2 inches do you think?

They like to nip the tops of newly growing grass so best to have it short and they will maintain it for you.  It ends up in a tangled ball and blocks the crop otherwise.   ;)

Elvira

• Experienced Member
  • Doodles just doing what they do best...
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 13:43 »
My girls have been out all morning "mowing" the lawn for me - they keep it lovely and short and deal with those annoying seed heads that the mower won't cut - plus they "manure" the lawn as they go.  Between them and the wild baby rabbit that has taken up residence in the garden, our lawn doesn't need mowing these days... ::)

newchickenkeeper

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 23:18 »
Speaking of 'maintaining' the grass I found a rather large dropping in my kitchen, quite like that they have come into the house although give me a week and it will be a different story lol.

Had a real laugh with them before. They have really come out of themselves now. I was having something to eat outside and one leapt on me, stole the food and ran off :) I do like a bit of cheek

They have been sleeping on the floor so I have lifted them and put them on a perch together. One was making  purring sound? I am hoping that was a happy sound but not sure. I went out to check 20 mins later and they are still on there all tucked in so they seem happier up there

newchickenkeeper

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 23:19 »
And Springlands - you are quite right. I have been in and out every 5 minutes just to 'check' on them, even though I can see quite clearlyfrom my window in the home office that they are fine lol

newchickenkeeper

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 23:23 »
Could I ask also - I am having a chicken house built, they have one already but I want a better one. I notice some have windows and some dont. Do they prefer darkness or a window? Thanks

Springlands

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 23:39 »
The purring sound means that they are contented. I prefer hen houses without Windows - partly because the hens do not wake quite so early during the summer. Enjoy your chicken watching.  :)

newchickenkeeper

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 09:16 »
Brilliant thanks Springlands :) They have a window at the moment but seen so many houses you can buy without windows. I personally would prefer to wake up with some natural light so sure they do too :) - windows it is

ANHBUC

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 09:21 »
If you have a window and a fox is around it could spook your hens and the same with fireworks.  My first coop had a window so I painted over it.

Springlands

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 10:46 »
Chickenkeeper - I was trying to say that a hen house without windows was much better - the hens do not wake up so early and as ANHBUC said it also makes them feel safer.

newchickenkeeper

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 11:20 »
Arrrrsorry, misunderstood. Thought you meant you liked them noisy :)

Right, will have a rethink. At the moment I have welded mesh with a fake bit of glass over (plastic glass, cna't think what it's called). But can easily have this covered as still in build stage.

I did wonder about getting spooked so will have that covered without a doubt.

That leads to me re-look at the ventilation. How do you have yours ventilated? I am thinking of either small holes at the top on either side or putting a little vent in (one that blows around) but am worried about them getting cold?

xx
Here are my pictures of my girls

Started by salt and pepper on Chicken Chat

9 Replies
Last post August 07, 2011, 22:41
by NormandyMary
xx
pictures

Started by retribution on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post January 08, 2011, 14:10
by Mulberry1990
xx
100% hatched (now with Pictures)

Started by Nails on Chicken Chat

9 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 19:04
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Jessica Pictures

Started by andreadon on Chicken Chat

13 Replies
Last post June 05, 2010, 23:23
by TeaPots

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 38 queries.