grass

• 7 Replies

sean moore

grass
« on: April 22, 2009, 22:43 »
hi i have been given the chance to turn a garden into an allotment. the only trouble is
the grass and the weeds are 2 feet tall do i use weed killer ( what sort ) or dig it up
help
regards
sean

FCG

Re: grass
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 22:55 »
Dig it up spit at a time and place it to one side with the grass facing down. Theoretically it should die off and leave you with a mound of soil. DON'T use weedkiller unless you are planning a long time before you get any crops in the ground.

Haz

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 00:07 »
Agree with FCG.  Do it the hard way.  Dig it bit by bit.  It will be worth it in the end.

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 19:11 »
Digging in would work better when done in autumn and the grass has all winter to rot down. It would be easier now if you were to strim or mow the grass first and compost it seperately

Depends how organic you want to be -  you will will get loads of people advocating use of glyphosate. It was claimed to be safe and leave no residue in the soil but many are no doubting that and it has been banned in some countries. BEWARE
Playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order!

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 10:30 »
I would use Roundup. You should leave it 10 days to work into the roots before cutting off and cultivating. No need to wait for visible signs of dying plants, after 10 days it will have done its job. There is no residue and in fact you could plant as soon as it was dry if you did not need to wait for it to work.

If you take the turf off you are removing valuable top soil. Better to kill off with Roundup and dig the turf in.

sean moore

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 11:16 »
weed killer or not thats the question
maybe i will install the outside tap 1st and have a think about it

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 17:49 »
I would cut the grass and rake it off, then cover the area with that weed suppressing sheet. Then wait. Even Roundup has an effect on soil organisms. If you can wait long enough, all the weeds etc will die, and the worms will have sorted the soil for you. 

I'd also leave some of the long area as a home for the predators that like the insects that like your veges.

For a bit of relaxation and to see what lack of care for the soil can do for you visit http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00hs8zp/Natural_World_20082009_A_Farm_for_the_Future/

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 13:14 »
A word of warning: if you're going to cover it over, make sure whatever you cover it with really doesn't let light in.  I had part of my plot covered with cheap weedproof fabric from October onwards and when I took it off last week I found I'd grown a great crop of couch grass!  The fabric was good enough to suppress annual weeds, but for things like couch grass which store energy in their roots it let just enough light through to let them keep growing away.  It did do a good job of keeping the soil moist and warm, so at least it's easier to dig the roots out than if I'd left it uncovered, but if I want to do it again I'm going to buy some expensive stuff!

xx
Help, how to remove pampas grass and mystery grass identification.

Started by WeavingGryphon on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post February 24, 2020, 20:36
by jezza
xx
Help, how to remove pampas grass and mystery grass identification?

Started by AustinGreyson on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 16, 2020, 19:30
by jezza
xx
grass

Started by Antonius on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 22:43
by MoreWhisky
xx
my grass

Started by chrissie B on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post September 26, 2012, 20:18
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 29 queries.