How do you survive against the odds?

• 19 Replies

Auntiemogs

Re: How do you survive against the odds?
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2017, 11:03 »
Very well said Goosey!  :)   

I think that determination and a good sense of humour are extremely helpful during 'challenging times'. 

A 'therapeutic vent' can do the world of good, but as you say, not all people are blessed with a 'robust' mindset (a counsellor friend of mine called them 'psychic vampires' - you can feel their negativity draining your mental energy).   :D

I underwent radiotherapy for breast cancer a couple of years ago (I was extremely lucky to find it so early), and tried to be supportive of a chap I used to travel to the hospital with (prostate cancer).  I'm afraid to say that I now avoid getting into conversation with him, as helpful suggestions fall on deaf ears, and I find the negativity exhausting. 

As my Gran used to say "count your blessings".   ;)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Goosegirl

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2017, 13:08 »
And well said you AM! I like the term psychic vampires because that's exactly what their black outlook does to you. I'm so glad you found your breast cancer early. I had to have chemo and radiotherapy for mine but have been fine for over ten years now. I was in work then and they sent a lovely card and big bunch of flowers but do you know what really touched my heart? They sent another card and some flowers when I lost my hair! That was  such a kind thing to do and really gave me a big lift! Never forgotten it and never will. Survival is not just about you trying to help yourself but letting others help you when it's needed.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2017, 17:46 »
I think what I have learned over the years is to try not to judge, just because you don't see it doesn't mean people don't have troubles, sometimes from many years ago, which influence the way they act. Not always easy but I try! Also my job dealing with peoples estates after they die concentrates my mind on the present and enjoying the now. No pockets in shrouds!

Auntiemogs

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2017, 10:08 »
What a lovely thing to do Goosey!   :)  It's those small acts of kindness that make such a difference, isn't it?   

That must have been a very trying time, and makes me even more appreciative of just how lucky I was.  I'm so glad that you're doing ok now, and  here's to the next 10 years!  :D

I think what I have learned over the years is to try not to judge, just because you don't see it doesn't mean people don't have troubles, sometimes from many years ago, which influence the way they act. Not always easy but I try! Also my job dealing with peoples estates after they die concentrates my mind on the present and enjoying the now. No pockets in shrouds!

Indeed Robinahood.  I think we're all judgemental to some extent, but it's important to remember that appearances can be deceptive, and a little tolerance and empathy can go a long way. :-)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 13:11 by Auntiemogs »

Aled

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2017, 12:08 »
Nice thread goosy.
Cheers
Aled

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 38 queries.