Dog walking

• 37 Replies

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
Dog walking
« on: March 02, 2011, 20:57 »
I have a 5 yr old boy labrador that I like to walk off lead on footpaths and fields away from roads  but I have noticed a significant number of other dog walkers who either keep their dog on lead, or, as soon as they see you they put them back on.

I then feel obligated to put mine back on its lead, I would much rather let the dogs meet than endure the senario of trying to keep them apart.

we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
Re: Dog walking
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 21:12 »
If they have a dog with a tendency to bite though they might not want to risk it, and feel its best to put there dog back on the lead when they see any other dogs to keep theres under control, just in case. :)
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

nuttytart

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 21:12 »
We don't always put our dog back on the lead, depends whats happening, what else is about, how big the other dog is etc. Just depends really. It's not necessarily your dog its other peoples!!!

Tenhens

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 21:45 »
I moved to north Derbyshire about 18 months ago from wiltshire and people and dogs were more friendly, I knew several people who would chat about their and your hound quite freely and were quite happy for the dogs to 'play'.  A recent experiance concerned a woman walking an alsation along a pavement towards me, I saw a recess that I was going to reach before her . I stopped,with my dog away from hers and she walked past as  if I were invisable. No gesture of thanks , nothing. Perhaps she was'nt the dogs best friend.

I can understand the point that a dog may bite, but labs ,springers and other 'family' dogs does have me slightly puzzled.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 21:51 »
I do find that when walking my dogs  (a Newfoundland cross and a Neapolitan Mastiff) people usually put their dogs on their leads and walk off in the opposite direction. My dogs may both be giant breeds but they are soft and would love to play with the other dogs but don't get the chance  :( 
Staffies are softer than you think.

Tenhens

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 22:10 »
Have just googled your two breeds - what lovely dogs. Certainly not your typical hound.  I think my hound would find yours quite interesting . I too have seen people turn around.

pigeonpie

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 22:19 »
Unfortunately I have a labrador that has been badly attacked by 4 other dogs at 3 different times.  It started off when she was very badly attacked by 2 male golden retrievers when she was only 7 months old.  She had been playing with them both but I believe 1 may have gotten jealous and gone for her and the other joined in.  She was pinned to the floor by both dogs who went in for the kill.  It was only their owner (who was extremely traumatised by the incident) managing to get between the dogs and my puppy to protect her and in particular her throat that saved her life.
Luckily it didn't affect her too much, but she was very wary of golden dogs and would always try and hide from them if she saw any approaching her.
About a year later she was again attacked by another golden retriever.  Both dogs had been happily sat alongside each other whilst I spoke with the other dog's owner when all of a sudden the other dog turned on her, puncturing her wrist joint, again requiring emergency surgery.
Understandably, she was quite traumatised by this.
A year or so later she had a bit of a row with a black labrador when we were on a shoot.  The other dog is known for being "highly strung" but my girl did retaliate.  However, she still received a nasty puncture wound to the already injured wrist.

She is now petrified of other dogs, in particular ones who bother her, want to sniff her and especially those she doesn't know but has even gone off all of her doggy friends that she previously used to play with.  When she feels threatened she growls very aggressively and if the other dog continues to approach she will attack.

I always put her on a lead when I see other dogs.  I also speak out to warn approaching owners that it is advisable that they also keep their dog under close control and away from her as she has injured a friend's dog in retaliation to it sniffing at her and growling back after she growled at it.

I really wish that she wasn't like this and that I could turn back the clock to protect her.  It still upsets me to think how much she must have been traumatised as well as how difficult it now is to enjoy a normal doggy relationship with others.  Luckily we have enough acreage to walk her without her having to see other dogs, apart from my in-laws dog which she is best friends with.  However, it really annoys me when other owners respond to my request to keep their dog away and explanation of why by ignoring it, especially those who say "Oh, my dog wouldn't hurt a fly".  It's not about the other dog, it's about my dog.  I don't want an insurance claim against me and I certainly don't want her to feel threatened and anymore traumatised than she already is.

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 22:30 »
I live in a city and my 2 dogs are walked twice a day. As nuttytart says it depends on other owners and other dogs as to what I do.  I see quite a few dogwalkers quite regularly and have got to know who and what situations to avoid.  If my boys are off the lead I find walking onwards usually brings them away from their new friends and they follow me.  My collie was quite snappy when he was on the lead as a youngster and this is why I would avoid others at times - its less stressful and the walk is a  more pleasant experience.  If the dogs are off the lead I do not put them back on unless I think I am never going to be able to leave because my younger spaniel is going to spend all day playing with his new pal (currently a 7 month old husky).  The collie has been attacked a couple of times, usually by boisterous dogs owned by younger members of the community so I do keep a wary eye on other dog walkers to if I need to intervene and this is the other time i will put them on the lead.  It all depends really.

Pigeonpie - my sympathies  and empathy- dog walking should not be a trauma and I wish you and your girl many happy walkies.
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 22:36 »
Our dog was quite scared of other dogs.  If we didn't keep him on the lead he tended to run home, ignoring roads or the green cross code ...  :ohmy:

In fact, he was so scared a couple of times when other dogs were insistently surrounding him and not being called off by their owners, that he actually slipped his (fairly tight) collar and ran home.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 22:41 »
We put our dogs back on the lead around other dogs as they just wouldn't come back if they saw the other dogs coming. They're fine on their own but when other dogs are around there's just no controlling them.
It's never anything to do with the other dogs, it's just I know that mine are little miscreants and have selective hearing!
Also having four dogs it'd be a mess of dogs if we let them run off to play with others!
My youngest one is also very noisey, so although he's a little beagle he does intimidate some people, and my boxer is extremely boisterous and knocks people over given half a chance.
4 Dogs: Stanley, Oscar, Borris and Scraps, 8 chickens: Prada, Mulberry, Alessi, Apple, Dior, Bobbi, Eve and Fendi, 2 Guinea Pigs: Rupert and Milo, 3 Rabbits: Louis, Daisy and Charlie 2 Fish: Sandy and Pebbles, 6 Quail

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 22:44 »
I always had to put the lead back on my JRT if we saw another dog approaching as he was the very devil and loved to fight. The size of the other dog was immaterial  :(

Tenhens

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 22:59 »
Pigeonpie,

I echo Lulu's reply, Going for wanders should be a positive past time, I trust you have many tail waggings wanders ahead.

compostqueen

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 23:02 »
I walk two different dogs at various times and I have a little darling coming to stay with me for two weeks from next week.  The other one though can't be let off the lead as the call of the wild is too strong and he'd be off like a shot and probably under a bus.  He does love his walks though but he's not yet old enough to go for miles

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 07:28 »
It is not a good idea to generalise about the temperament of breeds. Just as all staffs are not killers, all labs are not soft and gentle cuddlies. I am involved with a lab rescue and labs often come in with temperament problems, mostly due to the treatment they have had, but sometimes because that's just the way they are. Some even have to wear muzzles for a while before they can be trusted with other dogs.

We tend to put our lab and lab cross on a lead if others do first, always assuming they are doing it for a reason, and also, with the pup especially (she tends to run if a dog is too pushy, then gets chased) if we come accross a dog we know is out of control. I honestly don't find it a problem to put a lead on the dogs, they come when called (usually!) and the last thing I want is them to upset anyone.

On the other hand, yesterday we were in the park and came accross a woman with a young staff and a dalmation, no collars, and the staff charged up to me and leaped up and landed on my chest. She was very wriggly and friendly, but I walk with a stick and fall easily, the only reason I didn't this time was because I braced myself with my stick. There was no concern from the owner, just an assurance that she was playful, not nasty! I detest dogs running up to me and I'm sure others do too.

And that includes labs!

twango70

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 11:31 »
very rarely i let our murph off lead only when i'm out on one of my all dayers and in the middle of nowhere, had to many bad experiances with other dogs.
there's some water meadows not far from where i live and even though it an SSI people still let there dogs run riot and some of the time out of control so never let him off or usually take him there.
Murphy being a border/lakeland X patterdale can be a bit blinkered when he gets a sniff of something (understatement ;) ) as are most terriers i suppose,
 and after a bad experiance with a mare cannot bring myself to trust him (good with horses on the lead..... off lead ..... not so good ), with other dogs he fine just gets really excited which 9 out of 10 times either scares the other dog or gets on their nerves ..... had a Chihuahua hanging off his face once which the owner thought was funny  :mad:
another time got attacked by a german shepherd, who kept biting his tail rear legs, our murph was so scared he actually ran up me and stood on my shoulder, :blink: considering he only slightly bigger than a jack russell (longer legs) was quite impressed ..... afterwards that is
anyway sorry for the rant ...... feel better now ;)
Dad? d'you know the piano's on my foot ............ You hum it son and i'll play it :)

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 34 queries.