muntjac chews the fat , or lard or dripping ,

• 5 Replies

muntjac

« on: February 16, 2007, 10:20 »
ok i culled a dozen big chucks today n the birds all have the usual layers of nice creamy fat  so being the tight bum i am i decided to use it ,now i do my own goose n duck fat so why not chuck fat . wacked it in the oven for a while on about 120 c .n its left me some crsipy bits of skin and loads  ( over a pint)  of sweet smelling clear fat , now we know the skin is fatty and they " docs " say dont eat it if ya on a  CH FREE  diet n all that rubbish (m been on CH  tabs fer 7 yrs n stil not doing as im told ) so anybody know if this fat is of any use for cooking or not . i fink the jewish folks use it dont they ... ? :?
still alive /............

Trillium

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 16:23 »
They do. Also, the religious Mennonite and Amish sects in Canada also use chicken fat in making cookies. They substitute part of the regular fat of the recipe for chicken fat and supposedly it makes a considerably more delicate cooky. You wouldn't notice it much in something heavily spiced though. Not tried it myself as my CH is slowly creeping up. But if you drove around in -20C weather in a horse and buggy, as these sects do, you could easily burn it off in sheer self protection. If you want a recipe, I can probably dig one up for you.  :D

muntjac

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 20:36 »
yes please  :)

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 22:11 »
Found only 1 recipe so far. I'll keep browsing my books and if I find more, I'll send them PM. The recipe author insists only chicken fat works.

Butter Meal Cookies:
1/2 cup chicken fat
1 heaping cup brown sugar
2 scant tsp vanilla
1/4 cup boiling water, to which you add 1 scant tsp baking soda
2 cups flour
2 cups quick rolled oats
pinch of salt

Blend fat with sugar, add vanilla, boiling water & soda. Mix in well the flour, oats, salt. Drop in spoonfuls on a greased cooky sheet and pat out as thin as possible using hand or fork dipped in flour. Bake in a 350F oven until golden brown, just a few minutes.

Hope you can convert the baking temp. to UK stoves. Like I said, I've not made these so you'll have to adjust as you need.  :D

WG.

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 22:16 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
so anybody know if this fat is of any use for cooking or not
I've seen me using chicken fat (out of the roasting dish) to saute the vegetables when making a soup, stew or casserole.  It does the job alright but I'm never sure how long to keep what's left in the fridge.  With it being runny kinda stuff, seems like it wouldn't keep as long as lard.

muntjac

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 22:31 »
freeze it i do with the other fats i save  :wink:

xx
Lard

Started by arugula on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

20 Replies
Last post July 27, 2011, 20:23
by arugula
xx
Beef Dripping

Started by Dopey113 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

14 Replies
Last post July 27, 2012, 16:12
by cheshirecheese
xx
Clarifying dripping

Started by Kleftiwallah on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2021, 18:06
by JacsH
xx
Muntjac's Recipies

Started by muntjac on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

61 Replies
Last post November 11, 2007, 23:57
by mushroom

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 35 queries.