Hello Everyone

• 4 Replies

DustyDerris

Hello Everyone
« on: March 26, 2022, 22:46 »
Greetings to all,
I have joined the forum today. I used to grow a few veg in my moms garden back in the 80's. The soil wasn't the best but as a 11 year old I did my best with the little I had. My dad bought me a book back in 1983 " Peter Seabrooks Complete Vegetable Gardener." I still have that book and reading the intro, it mentioned the growing (no pun) importance of producing your own veg in times of economic uncertainty. Bear in mind that this book was written in 1976, and it seems that very same intro is as relevant right now as it ever was back then, with looming inflation and rising costs ( The one thing not relevant is the now banned chemicals mentioned in the book , for pest control! )
I've always found a fascination with the sight of a small field of growing vegetables, particularly brassicas. Well the fascination can finally attain substance for last weekend I succeeded in acquiring an allotment within 2 days of contacting the council department. The plot is one of over 100; this plot was previously the charge of an elderly gentleman who had to give it up. Apparently he was one of the best gardeners there and the soil suggests so; a beautiful medium loam. I have already been given a large rhubarb crown which I have split and planted. The digging starts tomorrow with seed potatoes going in. Then some general maintenance  of the plot itself, sorting out compost enclosures and all the tools that were left. A lot of stuff I still remember from all those years ago but some I need to refresh. I'm looking forward to this new venture and hopefully share my experiences with other members.  :D
-Don't go through life, grow through life.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Hello Everyone
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2022, 23:11 »
Welcome, DustyDerris.

Looking forward to following your allotment progress.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2022, 21:04 »
Welcome to the forums and good luck with what sounds a lovely plot  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2022, 21:43 »
Welcome to the site & sounds like you’ve landed on your feet with that plot & tools to boot, lucky you :)
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

AndyRVTR

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2022, 06:54 »
Hello & welcome, it sounds like you've landed a cracking plot!

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 44 queries.