Clarifying dripping

• 3 Replies

Kleftiwallah

Clarifying dripping
« on: August 31, 2021, 12:44 »
Good afternoon everyone,  a question for the 'more mature' amongst us.  When clarifying the dripping from the chip pan my mother used to add a smidge of some white powder to the water which made it fizz and clear the dripping better. Anyone know what this could have been.  Creme of tartar or bakig powder perhaps?

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

rowlandwells

Re: Clarifying dripping
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 16:53 »
not sure about creme of tartar or backing powder Tony but i know pork dripping is lovely on hot toast with a pinch of salt just the job on a winters morning  :D :D

wighty

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 17:48 »
Paul likes the dripping from the (time we are not allowed to mention yet) turkey on toast.  Turns my stomach and has to be eaten where I cannot see, preferably in the garage and I don't even want to know that he's doing it, thank you very much.

JacsH

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 18:06 »
I just melt the fat-to-be-dripping (mostly the fat from the roasting tin, or at least that left after making gravy with some), add about the same volume of boiling water. Stir them around then leave to cool, covered. Most of the solid/burnt bits settle down in the water. Fat then lifted off when cold and used or frozen for later use. William Ellis' "The Country Housewife's Family Companion" (1750; 2000 reprint) simply boils up the meat with fat, scums it off and lets it cool. The jelly in the bottom then used for whatever and the surface fat being added to water, re-boiled and repeated. Mrs Beeton recommends the same as I do!!!! I suppose that bicarb would fizz in an acidic mix and the gribbly bits that you don't want might well be caught in the bubbles in which case you'd need to skim them off. Enjoy.

xx
Beef Dripping

Started by Dopey113 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

14 Replies
Last post July 27, 2012, 16:12
by cheshirecheese
xx
muntjac chews the fat , or lard or dripping ,

Started by muntjac on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post February 16, 2007, 22:31
by muntjac

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 35 queries.