Hen not very well

• 7 Replies

RobfromDeal

Hen not very well
« on: July 21, 2007, 22:20 »
One of my Hens has been sitting down on 4 eggs all day and she hasnt moved.  My other three hens are ok.  I managed to move her and before she flaps her wings ect but now she just sits there.  Can anyone help.  She has had all the jabs ect before i got her.
Robert Creron

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Hen not very well
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 22:41 »
A broody hen should be encouraged to leave her nest once a day to eat drink and poo.  She'll be back on her eggs after about 20 mins.

I presume they are fertile eggs otherwise she is waisting her time  :roll:

RobfromDeal

Hen not very well
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 22:45 »
No they are not fertile eggs as i dont have a cockerel.  When i gave her some food she ate it all while still sitting on all 4 eggs.  All four hens seem to lay in the same place.  Would the hen still be broody?

SOURIS

Hen not very well
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 22:51 »
Are you sure she isn't just broody? Ill hens generally stand around looking mopey, not sitting specifically on a clutch of eggs.

If she is broody she will typically fluff up and growl when you try and move her - but sometimes they will just sit tight when you try to move them. Is her underside bare? Broody hens lose their tummy feathers so that they can keep the eggs warm so that would be a sign.

I suspect that she is broody - in which case if you want her to hatch the eggs then good luck and if you don't I am afraid it can be a real effort to stop the broodiness but is by no means impossible and for sure she won't die. She would probably come off the nest once a day or two for a major meal and seriously huge saved up "toilet".

Let us know. An ill hen typically would look listless and droopy.

If in doubt seek a vet's advice though.

SOURIS

Hen not very well
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 22:53 »
I would encourage her to get off the nest for the daily meal as that way she can stretch her legs too which will be good for her.Hens are not aware of whether the eggs are fertile or not  - they are just following their natural instinct to go broody ... they will even sit on wooden or china eggs! They will also sit on other birds' eggs - we had goslings hatched by hens when I was little. In fact  - a determined broody will even sit on absolutely nothing at all!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Hen not very well
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 23:01 »
Oh... I thought you new she was broody and had given her some eggs to hatch.  Take the eggs away from her and take her off the the nest.  there are lots of ways to break broodies - most of which don't work.  We can sugest a few if that is what you want to do.  Or you can just leave her alone to get over it which she will do in about 21 days.  She won't starve herself so don't worry.

purplebat

Hen not very well
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 12:16 »
I had a hen that was broody for about five or six weeks, she was determined  :lol:  I don't have a cckerel either but it's their instinct, we put a run within the main run and put her in their with no straw or anything that could be used to make a nest, she stayed in there night and day, after about 5 days with no eggs to steal (they don't lay whilst they're sitting)and no nest she snapped right out of it, the trouble is if they are persistent for more than the 20 plus days they will start to lose condition, but apparently she was quite an exception  :roll:  good luck
If Life gives you lemons, - Make Lemonade

belladonna

Hen not very well
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 12:03 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
Take the eggs away from her and take her off the the nest.

This has always worked for me, just keep taking away the eggs as the other chooks lay them and she should snap out of it. If you wanted chicks, you could get some day-olds and give them to her - she should accept them, and she will stop sitting.

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 28 queries.