Electric fencing - first shocks for my chickens. Reassurance needed!

• 12 Replies

SusieB

• Experienced Member
Thanks to the wonderful tireless help from the girls at Electric Fence Direct, my electric fence is now working. 

I went out to see how the chickens are taking to it, and one chicken flew 10 foot in the air and continue to squawk her head off for a good 10 minutes.  I imagine it may take a couple of shocks for her to work out it's the fence.

I've been watching them again, but I switch the fence off when any of the chickens go near it, as I can't bear to watch them get shocked.

I am aware I am a bit pathetic, but can somebody reassure me that they are ok.  I can't sit in the garden all winter protecting them from the fox.

Prod

You are not pathetic, just over worrying. When I first kept chickens I had an electric fence although I now let them free range. Chickens are mardy, anything scares them and you need to prove that the fence works. Having said that they learn quickly and 'once bitten.......'  The charge will not kill a chicken but it will stop foxes/dogs/cats effectively. You will (if you haven't already got one) need a system that indicates the system is working otherwise you will have to periodically throw a chicken against it just to make sure........ :lol:  only joking.

Beekissed

It's not all that painful...just surprising and uncomfortable.  Try it yourself and see.  No lasting pain from the contact and no sharp or horrible pain, just a weird, tingling sensation that's annoying and uncomfortable more than painful.  Mostly their feathers insulate them from the shock and they'll only get shocked if their heads come in contact with it.  I had CX youngsters going through my poultry fencing like it was nothing at all, so it must not be too bad...just surprising. 

SusieB

• Experienced Member
Thank you both.  Rocky, the chicken that touched the fence, is a bit of a drama queen - I will be braver tomorrow, now I know it's not too painful.  And I have an tester thingy, so won't need to chuck any chickens.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
And I have an tester thingy, so won't need to chuck any chickens.

Phew  :lol: 

Sassy

I've used an electric fence with ducks and chickens also horses. They learn very quickly only one or two shocks necessary. Only wish I could say the same for myself!!! :lol:

They have to get a shock to learn and I can personally confirmm - many times - that it is not painful but uncomfortable, really odd sensation :D
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Prod

I decided to sell mine when I got more chickens and let them all free range. I have a dog and a cat and they never harm them which is weird as the cat catches wild birds and mice etc but never touches the chicks. WE live at 1500ft and (touch wood) never see any foxes, our neighbour is a farmer and he has kept chickens for decades with no fox problem.  When I had mine one or two of my hens would actually fly up and perch on the top making it totally ineffective !!!!

Sassy

I decided to sell mine when I got more chickens and let them all free range. I have a dog and a cat and they never harm them which is weird as the cat catches wild birds and mice etc but never touches the chicks. WE live at 1500ft and (touch wood) never see any foxes, our neighbour is a farmer and he has kept chickens for decades with no fox problem.  When I had mine one or two of my hens would actually fly up and perch on the top making it totally ineffective !!!!

It is not ineffective, they do not get shocked because they are not touching the ground. If they had on foot on the fence and one foot on the ground they would get a shock. You will see wild birds quite happy on top of live electric fencing.

Prod

Yes I understand that   but I meant the fact that they could sit on it without getting a shock meant it was ineffective, I might as well have put up a washing line....... :D

Sassy

Sorry ::)

Could you clip a wing? It may deter them tho they could probably still fly up to top of fence if determined.  :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
I might as well have put up a washing line....... :D

Look on the bright side Prod.  At least they weren't on a washing line, pooping on your washing  :lol:

Chickens do seem to have a knack of sidestepping all attempts to keep them under control don't they  ::)

Prod

Don't talk about bird droppings!!!!!  We live up in the hills next to a Church and the starlings are back nesting in the trees, it looks like it has snowed!!!  On the bright side their aerial displays are breath taking...... how they move together is amazing.... not like chickens who always go off in different directions!!!! :lol:

Helenaj

Don't talk about bird droppings!!!!!  We live up in the hills next to a Church and the starlings are back nesting in the trees, it looks like it has snowed!!!  On the bright side their aerial displays are breath taking...... how they move together is amazing.... not like chickens who always go off in different directions!!!! :lol:

The only time you will see chickens in formation is if the one in the front has something the rest of them want! :lol:

xx
Electric Fencing advice needed

Started by Knight Family on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post February 04, 2010, 17:53
by Foxy
xx
Electric chicken fencing Help urgently needed!!

Started by flangey on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 26, 2009, 16:40
by desandchez
xx
Should I get electric fencing for my chickens

Started by ronmcfadden on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 21, 2014, 09:44
by Sassy
xx
Reassurance Needed!!!

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 25, 2008, 17:58
by Foxy

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 38 queries.