Poultry Leg Rings

• 14 Replies

CDave

• Experienced Member
Poultry Leg Rings
« on: February 02, 2009, 23:23 »
We are struggling to tell the difference between some of our ex-bats. Someone suggested poultry leg rings for easy identification. Some help required and very gratefully accepted.

Experience of leg rings.Easy to get on established/older ex-bats? Will they mind - or peck at the rings. Should I avoid red? And what size do I need?

Sorry - but you will guess that I'm a newbie  :blush:

With Thanks.

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
Re: Poultry Leg Rings
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 00:29 »
Just be sure to get bands that are a tad larger then the legs are. I have actually seen birds with bands that were grown into the leg.

There are two kinds available here, a numbered flat band and a spiral band that is round with no numbers. For ID purposes I would use the spiral bands and just use different colors for different groups of girls.

Yes they will peck at them for a day or two but after they figure out that they won't come off and can't be eaten they will leave them alone.

Kiwi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 05:09 »
I was having the same problem as 3 of my minorcas are identical. I got brilliant plastic bands for ours that the ends sort of fit together, they were incredibly easy to get on. My hens never pecked at them or anything.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Business-farming-industry/Farming-forestry/Poultry/Feeding-watering/auction-200296215.htm
this is what they look like
They come in all sizes, but like nn said just make sure they are a bit bigger than the leg.

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 06:32 »
Asking questions is the only way to learn. Don't ever be bashful about asking questions, even the most simple things can mean the difference between healthy birds and all out disaster.

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 08:51 »
Here is one of our Light Sussex x RIR with a 16mm leg ring on.

Knight Family

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 09:58 »
mmm thinking of them as well.
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

poultrygeist

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 13:29 »
Asking questions is the only way to learn. Don't ever be bashful about asking questions, even the most simple things can mean the difference between healthy birds and all out disaster.

Well said nnbreeder. And don't forget, for every question asked, there's 10 people grateful for the answer.  ;)

Rob 8)

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 22:13 »
Always mixed opinions but I am not keen on spiral type rings - have seen them dig into birds legs (not my own, don't use) and the clip together ones tend to come off too easily, especially with a particularly inquisitive bird.  If not ringing up from a chick, I tend to use the flat band type that are like a thin plastic that ravels around the leg.  Yes, they can be pulled off but I have found these to be the best, plus you can reuse ieasily if selling the bird etc.:

http://www.solwayfeeders.com/ProductsResultsList1.asp?cat=35

http://www.countryfayre-countrystore.co.uk/leg-rings-and-identification/cat_8.html

rolleyparnell

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 23:43 »
what size for japanese quails?

it be good for my 2 girls to be able tell who who as they have given names for all our 7 quails!

starblaze

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 21:54 »
Hi KimT ,
I may sound a little thick  :unsure: but can you explain how I get these spiral leg rings on please.

We have bought them for our geese so we know who is who as its a little differcult just looking at them to be sure.
 Also my wife wants to use them on her hens so she can colour code them by year .
 Thanks again for your time
and I will look forward to the reply :)

Jerry

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 22:38 »
Did you realise that this thread is 3 yeas old?  Don't even know if Kim still reads the forum posts.

Afraid I can't help, as I've never used leg rings at all.

elflady

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 09:40 »
I bought plastic leg rings for my ex-bats as I realised, when they all feathered up, I had great difficulty telling them apart. I bought a pack of coloured plastic rings from Pets At Home (UK) and managed to put them on myself without assistance. They don't seem to bother the chooks at all and sit nicely above the ankle (do chooks have ankles?). I also wrote a list of name/ colour of ring on a little chalk board which was hanging unused in my kitchen. It's all very well putting different coloured rings on the chooks, but then you have to remember which chook had which colour or you are back to square 1.

starblaze

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 13:59 »
Hi , Yes I did realise it was 3 years old but as the picture was here it made it easier then trying to explain the ring I was talking about  on a new tread .

It really was a chace I was taking  :)  I'll give it a few days and then start a new post if no joy .
Thanks for your input .

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 14:12 »
Hi starblaze, I haven't used the spiral ones before I have the ones from petsathome that clip together.  I have just got some metal numbered ones for my chicks which were quite easy to use.  The spiral ones I think I have read that you need to stretch them open before you can put them on the legs and they spring back into shape.  It might take 2 people to use this type until you have done a few.  Hope this helps.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 14:50 »
here you are:-

KT-_FXZvwj8
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
leg rings ?

Started by salt and pepper on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 13, 2011, 13:21
by ANHBUC
question
Leg Rings

Started by Bigblacktaximan on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 21, 2009, 10:11
by Flowerpower136
xx
Leg rings?

Started by Kuikentje on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 20, 2013, 16:03
by Aidy
xx
leg rings

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post September 20, 2009, 07:23
by karlooben

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 32 queries.