Wood shavings and slugs

• 6 Replies

Zippy

Wood shavings and slugs
« on: September 25, 2010, 13:07 »
Hello. The lady next door has loads of rabbits and other rodents as pets and puts out a bin bag of sawdust, straw bedding and poo at least once a week.

She has often offered this to me for composting to save her throwing it away but I have so far declined due to the high content of wood shavings.

However, i had a thought - I could compost the straw and poo along with the lawn mowings I pick up from another neighbour and then turn the wood shavings onto the bare earth paths between the beds - no?

I gather from lots of gardening websites and even garden nursery sites that they can be used to deter slugs as they don't like dragging over the stuff.

It would serve as a free natural and non-slip mulch which would keep slugs off my beds (I can dream) and would eventually break down into the soil without slowing down my compost bins.

What do you think?

NOTE: to the first person who says I can't use them like that because they'll be blown around in the wind - you should see my neighbours' plots each side and I say - "so what!". At least these are natural whereas plastic bags are not!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Wood shavings and slugs
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 13:17 »
My first thought is, is the poo separate from the wood shavings? The composting idea sounds eminently workable, but if you had to clean poo off the wood shavings before you put them down as path material, I think this could prove messy.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

zazen999

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 13:26 »
I put a mulch of sawdust onto all my crops at the lottie and use it for the paths. However it is clean.

Personally, I'd just use it as a mulch on crops; I'd give it a quick sieve, let the poo and smaller stuff go onto the compost heap and put the rest straight on the beds.

However I have clay soil, and am in need to extra organic that breaks down over the seasons and gets dragged in by the worms.

Zippy

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 15:15 »
Hi Argyllie, Hi Zazen

Argyllie - the pets seem to only use one corner of their cages to leave waste and the rest of the cage is relatively clean sawdust so the bags are usually layered as clean and soiled sawdust and used hay bedding, so the two are quite easy to separate.

Zazen - I think we are back to a subject we were discussing on another thread about coffee grounds using nitrogen from the soil in order to decompose. We agreed that the amount of nitrogen used in the process was negligible and the end process of increased nitrogen was overall beneficial.

In this case i would think it would be ill advised to dig sawdust into the soil due to the nitrogen being locked up while the shavings rotted, but a top mulch would not be reacting with the soil so much until it rotted down enough to be dragged down by earthworms.

I think what i'll be doing is using the haw and soiled shavings in the compost bins and the cleaner shavings as path mulch and possibly where light needs to be excluded such as in no-dig potatoes.  Here I would use a mix of grass mowings and wood shavings.

zazen999

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 16:33 »

In this case i would think it would be ill advised to dig sawdust into the soil due to the nitrogen being locked up while the shavings rotted, but a top mulch would not be reacting with the soil so much until it rotted down enough to be dragged down by earthworms.

I've never mentioned digging sawdust in; I always use it as mulch and let the worms do the work as they will take it, and turn it into lovely humus when they are good and ready.

Zippy

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 17:14 »
Zazen - I know you've never mentioned digging sawdust in - that was me thinking through the process; that it  wouldn't be wise to dig it on but leaving it on the surface as a mulch would be ok. My apologies for confusion.

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 20:43 »
Using shavings as previously mentioned seems a good idea. My other half has quite a few small furries and getting rid of the waste has been a bit of a challenge. Assuming slugs stay away will be a plus point! 
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

xx
Old wood shavings dug into soil

Started by rainie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 29, 2011, 20:47
by solway cropper
xx
What to do with Wood shavings (pine)

Started by TonyB on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 03, 2007, 21:30
by mercury
xx
Manure with wood shavings

Started by The Hungry Slug on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 12, 2008, 13:23
by The Hungry Slug
xx
Horse manure & wood shavings Question???

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 18, 2010, 17:28
by tosca100

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 35 queries.