Anyone recommend some Chilli seeds

• 21 Replies

Snoop

Re: Anyone recommend some Chilli seeds
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2014, 12:05 »

And Aubergine (not a chance but I'll give it a go for one year only)

Adri

Why "not a chance"? If you can grow chillies, you ought to be able to grow aubergines.

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2014, 12:52 »
I got some  Pepper & chilli seeds today

Cayenne chilli
Heatwave chilli
California Wonder peppers

And Subie100 is sending me some Lemon Drop chilli seeds.

A nice variety.

Will be sowing some of them today  :D

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2014, 15:23 »
I usually get the best crop with cayenne, followed by scotch bonnet.  I was wondering whether to start sowing my chillies and tomatoes soon as I seem to remember Monty Don advising to get them going early, especially chillies.  But what happens after they have germinated in the propagator?  My greenhouse has a heater which keeps the temp at a minimum of 6 degrees but I am sure that is way too cold for newly germinated seedlings so do I keep them in the propagator and for how long? 

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2014, 15:27 »
I've sown mine. When they come up, I transfer them into small pots and put on a sunny windowsill. I use tinfoil on card to reflect the sunlight onto the seedlings and keep them upright and non-leggy. They are S L O W growers till there is more light and heat, but it does make a difference sowing early. In my opinion, obv.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 16:10 by surbie100 »

adri123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2014, 17:18 »
@snoop...in Teruel I could grow them for sure!  Ain't necessarily so in the High Peak.

Snoop

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2014, 18:02 »
Adri: in Teruel I could grow them for sure!  Ain't necessarily so in the High Peak.

I bet our season is almost as short as yours, if hotter in the summer months. Last frost here usually 10 April but sometimes as late as 6 May, first frost usually mid-October. Summer night-time temps are probably higher than yours (usually 17 ºC) but in fact as far as I can tell aubergines don't like the heat in August, same with the sweet peppers. They seem to go dormant and then start flowering and fruiting again in September, by which time it's starting to get a bit late. Try a long purple or white aubergine rather than a purple round one, and don't bother with the baby ones. Whatever T&M might say about baby aubergines not being bitter, they're not in the least bit pleasant to eat in my experience. I would say they taste like ear wax, but that's just begging the question of how I know what ear wax tastes like. ;)

Grow them somewhere sheltered - I use rebar to stake mine on my exposed plot - and you might be successful.

adri123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2014, 07:56 »
@Snoop.

I used to live in Huesca.  It was seeing the allotments there that were full of huge ripe toms that got me into veg gardening in the first place...I'd swap climate with you any day!!!

Sorry for off topic...

Adri

xx
Recommend chilli peppers

Started by Silkworm on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 10, 2011, 19:21
by Silkworm
xx
recommend a compost for seeds

Started by plum crumble on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 04, 2012, 18:54
by DD.
xx
Chilli Seeds

Started by ches on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post January 23, 2020, 08:52
by New shoot
xx
Chilli seeds

Started by Yabba on Grow Your Own

34 Replies
Last post August 30, 2008, 23:32
by Yabba

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 33 queries.