Pea netting strategy?

• 6 Replies

snooziebunny

Pea netting strategy?
« on: June 17, 2014, 11:37 »
How do you net over peas? My peas are climbing and holding on to my net.... could anyone explain how to do this properly or any pics would be fab - thankyou lovely people xx
Sarah xx

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

Goosegirl

Re: Pea netting strategy?
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 14:00 »
This is a case of "there is more than one way to swing a cat" (nothing to do with felines, by the way). I have never netted my peas against pigeons, etc, only to support them as they grow. Although I have wood pigeons here, I don't seem to have a problem with them - maybe my 4 cats help out there, but maybe you could see how it goes unless you have birdies nipping them off, but I would have thought it unlikely as it seems to be the younger growth they like??
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 15:31 »
There's always young growth at the top of the plant  :D

I don't have to net peas on the allotment - I suppose there's lots of other food available - but in the garden sparrows are a real problem :dry:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 16:48 »
This is a case of "there is more than one way to swing a cat" (nothing to do with felines, by the way). I have never netted my peas against pigeons, etc, only to support them as they grow. Although I have wood pigeons here, I don't seem to have a problem with them - maybe my 4 cats help out there, but maybe you could see how it goes unless you have birdies nipping them off, but I would have thought it unlikely as it seems to be the younger growth they like??

Actually the expression is "There's more than one way to skin a cat".  :lol:

As I often say, I have to net at all stages of growth and it's better safe than sorry, a stripped pea will not recover.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 18:12 »
I use temporary vertical netting about 6-9" away from the peas, which is enough to prevent pigeons being able to land next to them without the peas actually attaching themselves to it - once they get to about 18" tall they are out of reach of even wood pigeons so I remove it.

(That would have been my advice before hearing about DD's local pigeons using the top of his pea rows as a landing site - how precious it would be to have a picture of one of the fat, dopey animals misjudging its landing and finishing up upside-down on the ground?!  :lol:)

As for sparrows, they can be very destructive round here - this afternoon I did what is now an annual routine of putting up netting parallel to my Munty frame to stop the little 'thingies' pecking off the flowers and sometimes even the shoots, of my runner beans, apparently just for fun.  :nowink:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Jackypam

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 22:12 »
My runners are even shorter today so I have encased in chicken wire.  That should stop them!  They are eating the lettuce too!   I'm guessing wood pigeons or the large rook colony.

xx
Exit strategy

Started by HLS on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 12, 2012, 16:28
by Agatha
xx
Do you have a weeding 'strategy'

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post March 07, 2009, 15:15
by Paul Plots
xx
Small plot strategy!

Started by lazza on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 28, 2011, 14:02
by lazza
xx
Debris netting or Ikea netting?

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 18:51
by hightide

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 41 queries.