Should I stir up my compost?

• 24 Replies

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
Re: Should I stir up my compost?
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2016, 22:44 »
On the subject of cardboard you can put in most domestic packaging, however there is as with most things a ' but', don't put card board in that has been in contact with the food stuff. A good example is fish finger boxes.  I also tend to avoid the packaging that has a glossy finish.   Breakfast cereal are ok as they have the inner bag - check that no one is collecting the 'vouchers' that are often printed on them!!

One of my older Alan Titchmarsh books ( 1991 ) says that turning the compost heap is not necessary , other sources advise turning.

Composting is a fascinating subject and you will hopefully be pleasantly surprised at what you can put in. There are books available devoted to the subject.   
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2016, 16:53 »
I opened the lid (as I did yesterday) to give it an airing and I disturbed a large rat!
I was very surprised because I've been super-diligent about what goes in the bin and the rat wasn't there when I stirred things up recently.
Not sure what to do now! Is my compost compromised? Do I tip everything out of the bin and hope the rat goes away?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2016, 18:00 »
First I would check how the rat has been getting it.  He's unlikely to leave voluntarily unless you make conditions difficult or unpleasant for him e.g. block up the holes and put weldmesh underneath the bin, if he's been tunnelling in (this will depend in part on the design and materials of your compost bin).

Yes, rat's urine can contain lots of nasties.  That being said, when I had a rat in my bin I simply blocked up his entry hole and then forgot all about it and used the compost once it was ready.  I'm still here ...  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2016, 18:30 »
Thanks, Yorkie. My bin is an old wheelie bin with the bottom cut off. We drilled air holes near the bottom because we understood that a lidded bin should have air vents. I guess I'll tip out the contents and block up the holes.

Trikidiki

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2016, 22:46 »
I doubt there are many compost heaps that don't get visited by rats, they urinate constantly so 'contaminate' everywhere they go.  The main risk is Leptospirosis (Weil's Disease). However, there are only about 40 confirmed cases per year in the UK and generally only produces flu like symptoms. It can also be caught from cattle urine so using cow manure is a risk factor too. Just as likely to catch it from water in rivers and lakes as from the rats in your compost. Make your own choice.

Yours was probably trying to nest in that nice warm environment you have conveniently created. Rats suffer from 'novaphobia' (fear of new environments) so if you move things around they may go looking for a home elsewhere.

Remember "you are never more than 164ft from a rat" http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20716625

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2016, 13:12 »
Thanks, Trikidiki, I gave the bin a good kicking (!) yesterday and there was no movement. I'm going to keep doing that over the next few days to keep up the disturbance and hope that puts it off!
On the subject of contamination - I think you're right. We're growing things in manure/fertiliser/natural soil for heavens sake - so there must be all sorts of contaminants that get filtered through the plants.

Headgardener22

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2016, 18:06 »
I agree with trikidiki, keep kicking the bin. You could also try taking the top off, if it gets rained on they don't like it also.

In order to get rid of things that vermin like, I'm using a Bokashi bin. It "pre-composts" everything including the stuf that you wouldn't put in a compost bin like cooked food and meat, then you bury it a couple of feet down and it vanishes completely. It doesn't smell because the bran that you put on it is innoculated with fungi that absorb the smells. It works well for us, no food waste goes into landfill anymore.

Trikidiki

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2016, 18:13 »
It's my understanding that plants can only absorb at a molecular level, the risk of 'illness' is from surface contamination. You're as likely to pick up Leptospirosis from your hands in the flower garden as you are on the vegetable patch.

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2016, 19:05 »
I've put bricks in front of the holes... so far, so good. Will check over the next few days that ratty has now been deterred.

Interesting what you say about Leptospirosis, Trikidiki.

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2016, 21:25 »
It's my understanding that plants can only absorb at a molecular level, the risk of 'illness' is from surface contamination. You're as likely to pick up Leptospirosis from your hands in the flower garden as you are on the vegetable patch.

One of the reasons why I wear gloves.

xx
Nothing to do but lovingly stir my compost...

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post December 19, 2010, 07:53
by Coach
xx
stir fry with harvest - question

Started by andreadon on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 22, 2009, 12:31
by andreadon
xx
Runner Bean Stir Fry

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 14, 2008, 12:30
by GreenOwl
xx
'Brown' compost materials this time of year ? My compost bin is like a sewer.

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 14, 2023, 23:59
by pepsi100

Page created in 0.415 seconds with 35 queries.