What does 'Frost Free' actually mean?

• 9 Replies

fatbelly

What does 'Frost Free' actually mean?
« on: November 09, 2014, 07:33 »
Hi, I've been given some Dahlia Tubers & Chrysanthemums & I want to overwinter them.

I've read how to do it and with that I'm okay, but all the articles I've read says I should store them in a Frost Free environment.

What does Frost Free actually mean? I have a brick built garage that is totally dry but gets as cold as the outside temp in winter because it has no heat and is detached. So is this Frost Free or do they mean a building that doesn't go below a particular temp.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: What does 'Frost Free' actually mean?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 07:39 »
It will mean the temperature not going below freezing point.

Whilst your garage might be free of frost - as in the visible white stuff you see on the lawn in the morning, I bet you wouldn't store your spuds in there! (or would you?)
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

fatbelly

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 07:45 »
Thanks for the swift rely DD.

As regards my Spuds I do store them in Hessian sacks in the garage every winter and they come through unscathed. Only in that brutal winter we had a few years ago did some of them suffer but even then enough made it through.

So perhaps that's my sign that the Chrysanthemums & Dahlias should be okay in the garage, fingers crossed.

As an aside what year was that brutal winter? can anyone remember I thought it was 2012 but Mrs FB just said that it was 2010!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 07:47 by fatbelly »

fatcat1955

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 09:10 »
If you plant them in dry sand or peat or wrap them in newspaper they should survive in your garage.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 09:56 »
A brick built garage will always be a bit above ambient overnight as, apart from as you say, brutal winters, the bricks will absorb heat during the day and release it at night, like a storage heater. They are better than unheated greenhouses for keeping overnight temperatures

fatbelly

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 10:17 »
Thanks to all for the replies. Been most helpful, into the garage they will go and if by chance we have a really bad spell then I will temporally bring them indoors.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 11:22 »
If you mean this winter Fatbelly, it WAS 2010!  I took photo's! lol

As to garages, ours in joined to the side of the house, but nothing above it, and we used to hang the turkeys in there for Christmas, as it got nie and cold in there, but they never froze.  Unlike the ones I hung in the small brooder shed, which froze that year!  :ohmy:
The Red Lion 1.jpg
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 11:24 by GrannieAnnie »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 12:03 »

As to garages, ours in joined to the side of the house, but nothing above it, and we used to hang the turkeys in there for Shhh..., as it got nie and cold in there, but they never froze.  Unlike the ones I hung in the small brooder shed, which froze that year!  :ohmy:

I remember worrying that you wouldn't be able to get the turkey to us that year, GrannieAnnie  :lol:

Our potatoes are fine in the garage , but as the floor is concrete I stand the sacks on a pallet. Just thought that might help where your dahlias are concerned Fatbelly.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 20:07 »

As to garages, ours in joined to the side of the house, but nothing above it, and we used to hang the turkeys in there for Shhh..., as it got nie and cold in there, but they never froze.  Unlike the ones I hung in the small brooder shed, which froze that year!  :ohmy:

I remember worrying that you wouldn't be able to get the turkey to us that year, GrannieAnnie  :lol:

Our potatoes are fine in the garage , but as the floor is concrete I stand the sacks on a pallet. Just thought that might help where your dahlias are concerned Fatbelly.

HaHa, the only person I was really worried about was a lady further west, Gloucester way I think it was.  The courier got the turkey to her local distribution centre okay, but then THEY said they couldn't get it out to my customer.  She told me that she had been into town, so why couldn't they get out to her?  I spent 4 days on the phone trying to sort it and arguing with the depot.  In the end, the lady's hubby went and picked it up on Christmas Eve!  :ohmy:

And because of the packaging, it was still lovely and cold!   :) :)   PHEW.   (Sorry Fatbelly, hijacked your post a bit there!)  :(

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 19:36 »
What does Frost Free actually mean?

Apart from the temperature NOT falling to/below freezing, I also take it to mean "cool" - a warm environment, whilst obviously being free from freezing, Natch!, is liable to cause the plants to start into growth too soon, and at a time when the light quality is too weak / too few daylight hours to provide enough Umph for any growth.

xx
Frost

Started by Grubbypaws on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post May 03, 2020, 10:56
by Yorkie
xx
Frost

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post October 10, 2015, 09:34
by mdjlucan
xx
Frost

Started by chris23005 on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post April 27, 2010, 18:21
by catllar
xx
Frost

Started by Beejay on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 02, 2008, 20:53
by gobs

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 38 queries.