How many is too many?

• 12 Replies

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
How many is too many?
« on: November 22, 2011, 17:41 »
I know I am being a terrible softy but there are some battery hens coming out soon and I feel so sorry for them.  I already have 13 hens (3 of them are ex batts) and my hen house takes up to 20-24 hens.
My logical head says " you've already got enough" but then the other part of me things "whats a few more!!"
I think of all the poo - but thats the only bad thing and that goes on the compost.
I need someone to talk some common sense to me!! 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: How many is too many?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 17:44 »
how much run space do you have as this will determine how many hens to have. Also the cost of the extra feed, possible vets costs and if you have a quarantine coop and run.
If money and all the rest is ok then get some but remember sadly not all of them can be given a new life  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 17:53 »
Their run is 8m x 8m plus.  I  know I cant save them all.  Actually I have found that the ex batts seem to get ill more often that the others.  I dont think they're as hardy.  I had 2 more that died.  One had a rattley breathing and the other had a tumour.  I suppose they have a hard life in there. :-(

Goldfinger

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 17:55 »

If I had the space (and time) I would have a damn HUGE flock!!

We've had our 5 in the back garden for 18 months (ish) now and I can't belive how interesting, rewarding, funny, 'calming'  :blink: and all other positive words that chickens do to you.

So, if I could, I would have loads more. But only have space for a couple extra.

There's me waffling again!  ::)

I hope someone more sensible comes along before I go 'chook daft' too.  :blush:

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 18:16 »
It is really a space and money issue - however big your heart, if you take on more than you have time/space/money for, you will be sad.

Joyfull is right - they can't all have a new life but any you do take on will be fortunate!

I haven't got the chicken bug too badly yet, but have to be forcibly removed from dog rescue centres......but I know that head has to override soft heart to keep the household at manageable level.
ManicMum

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 18:23 »
Goldfinger you are not waffling  :)  Its nice to hear what people have to say.  Manic mum I am like you too.  We already have a dog, 3 cats, 3 (soon to be 4) rabbits and then 13 chickens and 2 children and the OH of course.  Maybe I do have my hands full but I do have a big heart  ::).  Now if I had some land.... :lol:

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 20:06 »
Briliant i thought i was the only chicken loving mad man around  :D we have 8 rabbits 1 terrapin and a pair of leopard gecoes and avery with all sorts in lol  :wub: i want to get a few more chickens but space wurries me they have plenty of room in the run but the nesting box isnt that big  :( im considering ( well i will ) buy a 6x6 garden shed for nesting in how many chucks would be ok ?
Chicken crazy

tstainesmoore

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 18:35 »
 Hey, how many is to many, well it depends on how many eggs you would like to receive. the run and house also determines how many is suitable.a house that states that it can fit for example 10 large hens in such as ex bettery chickens i would recomend only putting about 5-7 birds in. this way they are not too cramped, and with more space and less birds they are likly to stay cleaner for longer, thus preventing risk of disease such as micoplasma which is common. Birds such as ex battery birds are about 18 mounths old and have an average life expectancy of about 2 years if not dispatched in other ways, syaing this some may live less and some from experience can live up to 5.it depends on each individual bird. however the ex battery bird is also normally weaker and more prone to other birds espeically when they have been kept inside all there lives.these birds firstly are bred for commercial use and are not developed to withstand diease. however they are vaccinated at hatch and ket inside from then on. so you find that if exposed to outdoor conditions they can pick up disease very easily and the diseases naturally picked up by others in which there body gets rid of themselves these birds are not able to do so. i would recommend buying exbattery birds befor ethey are too old to improve survival rates once free ranging and the offical free-range standard is having 1 square meter of room to 6 large hens however this is just stupid so just make sure you have room so that the chickens are happy.

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2011, 22:50 »
Tony H, you have 8 rabbits - brilliant!!  How many chickens do you have?  A 6 x 6 shed is 36 sq ft.  Are they meant to have 2 sq ft minimum?  So, does that mean you can have 18 chickens maximum?  My maths isnt great....
I have found that my ex batts get ill more often.  The others I've had for 3 years and I have never been to the vets with them whereas the ex batts - I've been up there a few times.  They arnt very hardy.
Bringing them out of their nice warm shed into the December weather isnt going to be very good for them is it?  Though I got my last lot in November and they survived their first winter okay.

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 18:56 »
Christyrose
 i have 5 chucks at the mo we want to get a few more after xmass but i dont want to overcrowd them at the moment my chucks have 2 square metters each including there run  :) its not the eggs that im realy bothered about i just find the so funny   :D i was thinking of having another 5 and incresing the run space ? can you mix different breeds ? and what chucks lay them blue eggs ?

lazydog

• Experienced Member
    • The alternative to burning tobacco
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 10:04 »
Ideally you should consider a minimum of 2mx2m run space for each hen but even this is not enough if permanently penned in winter time.
Any less than this a the ground will go sour.
If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of food

Goldfinger

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 18:13 »
Ideally you should consider a minimum of 2mx2m run space for each hen but even this is not enough if permanently penned in winter time.
Any less than this a the ground will go sour.

My run is covered but I'm able to let them out weekends etc, but what prevent the ground going sour if we have another winter like last year, and we can't let them out at all!?  :ohmy:

8doubles

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 20:33 »
If you get lots of hens you also get more 'shuffling off this mortal coil' as Mr Cleese remarked about the parrot.
Big softies should keep this in mind.

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 31 queries.