Livestock = deadstock too :(

• 8 Replies

Casey76

Livestock = deadstock too :(
« on: July 07, 2011, 14:09 »
I got back form 6 weeks in Argentina on Sunday, my mum having done a valiant job at looking after my rather large flock, but unfortunately not without some losses :(

Two hens were taken by a predator, after my boundry fence collapsed one night, and four died due to heat exhaustion after all piling into a nest box made for two, and in the kerfuffle accidentally shutting to door on themselves.

I received a text from my next door neighour saying that they boys were getting too noisy again, so four hours after my arrival (and I'd been travelling for 20 hours) I had a look and dispatched the noisiest two boys (and had a gorgeous chicken curry the next day); I assessed the 'poots as I came back to 5 girls and 8 boys, and dispatched 7 boys as they would be no good for showing and had a rest.

I got back from work the next day to find that one of my bantam dotte cockerels had attacked my one show prospect silver-laced dotte pullet and torn her head open, and she is now recuperating in a cat box in the bathroom.  Two other pullets also had blooming heads, so if he doesn't calm down he will also be for the chop.

Then to cap it all off, I came down this morning to find my one show prospect birchen Marans cockerel dead in the coop from no apparant reason.  I'm fairly gutted about that becasue he was shaping up to be a very nice boy, and birchen Marans are hard to find.

All of my other cockerels are no good to show, so I'll be having some fine dinners over the coming months, but it will leave me without a boy for next spring... consequently I'm itching to get the incubator out again!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Livestock = deadstock too :(
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 14:24 »
Like you Casey I hatch several broods a year and sadly part of this is dealing with the problem of the inevitable cockerels. I also dispatch them if new homes can't be found (and some are small but thanks to Spana I now spatchcock the bantam boys) resulting in some lovely dinners that I know have had a good life and what they are fed on.
So when do your next lot of eggs go in?  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 17:13 »
Sorry you had such a rotten ruturn from your trip.
What will you be hatching this time?

RichardA

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 17:15 »
Sounds like a bad few days -- what happen to hobbies being relaxing then....................
R

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 17:25 »
.............but thanks to Spana I now spatchcock the bantam boys) ............................

What is "spatchcocking" Joyfull?
HF
Truth through science.

bantam novice

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 19:30 »
So sorry that you have had such a run of bad luck  :(
I really hope things go better with the new hatching.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 20:38 »
Not the best to come home to Casey  :( 

Spatchcocking is a way of preparing birds to cook HF.  You cut out the backbone and flatten the bird out.  Then you put 2 skewers in diagonally across to hold the legs and wings close to the body.  Good for the BBQ  ;)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 21:08 »
thanks New shoot, they are lovely mainated in lime  :)

hillfooter

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 21:10 »
I'll have to try it.
HF

xx
Livestock Market

Started by nerdle on Chicken Chat

33 Replies
Last post May 22, 2013, 22:37
by ANHBUC
xx
pets or livestock?

Started by dizzylizzie on Chicken Chat

51 Replies
Last post May 07, 2010, 22:17
by joyfull

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 37 queries.