Help, Advice please!!

• 13 Replies

carolbriar

Help, Advice please!!
« on: December 08, 2009, 18:47 »
I took on four hens 3 1/2 weeks ago and 10 days ago had to have one put to sleep as she had a problem with her leg, there was no sign of an injury and the vet couldn't say what it was.  I spoke to the breeder today and he has offered to replace the hen (Barnvelder) as he has one  in the flock.  They were all about the same age when I got them which was approx 16/17 weeks old (now aged about 20 weeks).  I told him I would have another bird in April and take another one or two from him at the same time.  My husband has just said why don't I go ahead and get two now as they would be the same age as the girls we have now.  They are still on growers mash but as of yesterday I have just added a small amount of the layers pellets to slowly wean them onto them.  The girls have only really started settling well in the last week and I don't know whether it would be better to get two more girls now as they would all be from the same flock and at the same age or would I be better waiting until April?  I know adding newcomers to the house can be unsettling and there can be arguments but didn't know whether it would be better with them being the same age.  If I wait until about April I can't guarantee another Barnvelder which I would really like and then I would probably have to put them onto growers etc etc.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I would like to get in touch with him asap if I decide to go ahead now before he sells the Barnvelder! I seem to have waffled on a bit here! :unsure:
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

Fredjones

• Once a blue Always a blue in Runcorn, Cheshire
    • Fred`s web pages
Re: Help, Advice please!!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 19:20 »
Hi why did the vet put her to sleep if he could`nt find anything wrong, seems a waste to me.
2 x Warrens, 5 x ex batts, 3 x Daughters, 5 x grandsons, 1 x granddaughter, 1 x wife, this is enough for 1 x man

too many girls

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 19:42 »
i would get them now, at least they would all be on the same food and it won't get any easier intergrating them if you wait.

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 19:50 »
I agree, at that age it will be much easier, integrating growers with adults in the spring will be far more challenging! :lol:

carolbriar

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 20:19 »
The little Barnvelder that was put to sleep couldn't actually stand up for more than a few minutes and didn't leave the house for a week.  She wasn't able to get around much at all and certainly didn't get any better. It was a very difficult decision to make as these are my first hens.

I think everyone's advice about getting two new girls now is great news.  I will give the breeder a call in the morning and ask him if I can collect them tomorrow or Thursday!  I'll let you know what happens!  :D

dizzylizzie

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 21:26 »
make sure you dont just get 1 though. 1 hen would be very hard to integrate into an established flock, and would probably get picked on terribly! Hope you have better luck this time :D

Hawthorn Harry

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 13:47 »
If you are integrating new hens, do you want a lovely Cream Legbar Cockerel to keep the girls happy?  I now have 2, both of which were sold as hens!!  If not, does anyone know if CLBs make good roasting birds? He will be about 24/28 weeks old and has free-ranged since we got him 4months ago.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 13:50 »
Yep, a bird in the hand...  go for it now :)

carolbriar

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 14:41 »
What a generous offer of a Cream Legbar Rooster - NO thank you!  It's funny but the breeder phoned me this morning to say the only Barnvelder he has he thinks is a rooster.  The comb is like a hen but the wings or the way the pattern goes suggests a rooster.  He says he is 60% sure so there is no way we want a rooster at the moment so can't risk it.  I have decided to go for a Light Sussex and a Buff Rock.  I am collecting them later this afternoon. 

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 14:43 »
Lovely :)  Good luck with the introductions

Sassy

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 08:46 »
You won't go far wrong with a Light Sussex and I am sure the Buff Rock will be fine but have no experience of these. :) :) :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

carolbriar

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 12:39 »
I got the two new girls last night from the same breeder - one was a replacement for the little Barnvelder.  I put them straight into the house as it was dark and then this morning the three original girls came out and carried on as normal.  When the three went back into the house they realised there were strangers in there and there were a few words said.  Eventually the two new girls came out and got pecked a few times but eventually they all seemed to settle.  However, the two new girls won't go back into the house!  They are either wondering around the run or they have settled down in a corner.  Should I just leave well alone and see if they will go into the house later?  If they don't I will have to try and catch them this evening and put them in.  I know they have to sort out the pecking order but not sure how little I should do??? :unsure:

Jeanette

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 16:37 »
The same thing happened when i got some new girls and I just popped them in with the others every night for a couple of times they soon knew they had to go in :)

carolbriar

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 17:18 »
The new arrivals were out all day and occasionally got put in their place.  One of the girls sat at the opening to the house and watched them as if to say, try and come in if you dare!  It's the little Light Sussex that is being pecked more than the Buff Rock.  The other three all went to bed at 4.30 and I watched the two new girls go up the ramp but only went about 1/2 way and then backed down again.  Eventually I had to go in and catch one at a time and had to gently push them in.  I hope I don't have to do that too often.  It's difficult doing it with just one person.  I had my husband's butterfly net which I just used to corner them.  My husband will not be best impressed if he knew I had used that net! :)  It was very interesting watching the girls today and seeing how they all spent so much time out eating and pecking around.  The Buff Sussex and the new Light Sussex were both seeing off any wild birds coming into the run.  I seem to spend a lot of my day just watching them all.  Now they are in bed I had better get on and do all the things I should have done during the day!

xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
Advice Please.

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post April 11, 2008, 20:19
by richyrich7
xx
After some advice please

Started by tracy66 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 12, 2011, 23:14
by Lindeggs
xx
Advice please

Started by browntrouty on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 24, 2009, 21:54
by IMOmimey

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 38 queries.