Help......Any advice please

• 11 Replies

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
Help......Any advice please
« on: September 13, 2009, 11:51 »
I have two little call ducks, I've only had them a week! Last night when I was putting them away into their pen, I caught the little ducks foot/leg not sure which, under the enclosure. She is now limping quite badly, not willing to put weight on that leg although is able to but reluctant. Other than that she is swimming eating and drinking ok. I cant see any obvious injury although I havnt picked her up to examine closely. Should I leave her for a few days and see how she goes, or get her looked at by a vet?
P.S are there any vets open on a Sunday?

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Help......Any advice please
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 12:08 »
I would pick her up and have a good look at her and check there are no obvious breaks or deformity in the bone and no cuts or grazes that could do with a clean up. If there is nothing obvious I would just let her get on with it and these things usually settle down with time.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 12:15 »
Many Thanks Kate, You have no idea how much your advice helps...THANKYOU. I  will go check her now and just hope I haven't really hurt her.

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 12:27 »
Ok I have had alook, I'm no vet, not sure what I am looking for, the leg doesnt look deformed, I dont think there is a break, although I'm not confident in my ability to know, she obviously didnt like me touching her leg,I could only see a very small superficial graze. I think I will keep a very close eye on her and hope and pray I havent done any real permanent damage. :(

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 12:40 »
Well I broke the leg of one of my ducklings when she was just a few days old and was heartbroken! Felt awful but it is amazing how quickly they heal at that age and you would never be able to tell now.

poultrygeist

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 12:58 »
Hardy souls, these ducks  :)

Hope she gets well soon.

ROb 8)

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 16:55 »
Many thanks Folks for your time and replies.X She does seem a little happier now, been in the water for ages, ducking bathing etc. I do feel so bad... I was in tears writing this earlier!! (Its my age!!!) I will be more careful in future thats for sure.

Big Jen

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 19:30 »
I couple of months ago, I accidentally shut one of my banties in the kitchen door and it amputated one of her toes at the 2nd joint. It was hanging on by a thread of skin.
I was actually sick :tongue2:
I had to cut the rest off. It didnt even bleed. I washed it in antiseptic and then purple spray and it healed up perfectly.
The hen didnt even seem to notice it had happened :ohmy:
They are very tough these hens, dont worry too much.
Jenny
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 20:20 »
Many thanks Folks for your time and replies.X She does seem a little happier now, been in the water for ages, ducking bathing etc. I do feel so bad... I was in tears writing this earlier!! (Its my age!!!) I will be more careful in future thats for sure.

She sounds like she is well on the way to recovery and not even moping in an attempt to get more treats and attantion!!! Patrick sat on the sofa for a week after the fox attack but then again he's male! ;)

dizzylizzie

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 08:52 »
i can just imagine patric there with the remote kate  :D :D :D :D
can i just say, and y has caught the girls toes soooo many times trying to get them all in and the door shut...you would think they learn, but they dont! ???....she is probably a bit sore, i would be...and swimming will surly be good for her what ever she's done. i hope she's ok for you xx

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 12:03 »
Thanks for all your replies peeps, you have no idea how it has helped. I still feel bad, but better :tongue2: Daisy is much better today, barely limping at all, having a whale of a time in the water! Thaks again Tatty

poultrygeist

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 12:11 »
It's always tricky when you're trying to keep your eye on them and do several other things at once.
I nearly decapitated one of our hens in teh pophole door once but apart from a bit of squawking, she was fine.

Rob 8)

xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
I need some advice...

Started by CluckyChicken on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 26, 2011, 22:52
by ANHBUC
xx
More advice please

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 20, 2011, 13:36
by Casey76
xx
Bit more advice

Started by ladyhotspur on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 02, 2009, 18:52
by themagicaltoad1

Page created in 0.252 seconds with 35 queries.