Help needed, yet more problems---advice on 3 unwell chickens

• 3 Replies

Prod

Hi, more help needed (I think I am about to give up)   I bought some day old legbars and exch leghorns about 12 weeks ago and then 2 Cotswold legbars which I kept isolated for 3 weeks.  Two weeks ago I lost one of the leghorns to an impacted crop. Last week I lost one of the Cotswold legbars, I found it dead in the coop, no obvious signs and been eating drinking etc ok. On Saturday one of the Cream legbars was ill, runny pooh, crestfallen etc. I isolated her and gave her coxoid solution. I jetwashed the coop with poultry shield and then covered it with a DT slurry.

Today her pooh is back to normal but and she is eating and drinking but she is sneezing a bit and her eyes are watery and either side of her nostrils are swollen. Then I found the leghorn crouched up and lethargic, and felt cold, so I dosed her with coxoid and put her in with the legbar in an isolation cage. She appears to be eating ok  but I haven't seem her poohs yet.

Thirdly I have an amberline cross with an eye infection. I asked the vet and she gave me some antiseptic cream which I have used for week but it hasn't got better. Each day her eye is full of a creamy/yellow pus and her eye has turned opaque. There is a small white spot on her inner eyelid that seems attached but I cannot remove it.  After the episode with Billie  I cannot afford another eye operation.

Any advice, as usual, greatly received

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Help needed, yet more problems---advice on 3 unwell chickens
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 22:13 »
You are certainly not having a very good time at all.  It could be that the stock you have bought were not from good breeding stock.  I don't know what to suggest about the eye treatment other than some members have used eye ointments on their hens with some success. 

The sneezing could be an infection or it could be caused by dust or mould spores. 

I have had a quick look at some of our links and found THIS on pages 10/11 there is information on Infectious Coryza which has some of the symptoms of your birds.  There is information on other infectious diseases which would be worth reading as you will be able to compare your birds symptoms with them.   
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Prod

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 09:39 »
Thanks again ANHBUC   unfortunately I couldn't open the link but I think it is my PC. Today the 2 pullets are still with me, they seem a bit better, both eating/drinking and their pooh is normal.  The amberline cross is not so good, her eye is very bad and she is listless, sat open beaked, and sounds 'raspy' .  I think I may have to take the plunge and dispatch her.  I don't really want to, I like all my chickens, and giving them names doesn't help, but I don't want her to suffer and any more vet's bills or expenditure is out of the question (so says partner!!!) I have never killed anything (knowingly) other than flies so this will be a big test. My partner says if I am to continue and breed etc then I have to do it.  I am going to put things on hold a bit first though as this is enough to deal with plus I have hatching problems (see new post). I really am p*****d off though as I treat my hens really well. They free range, have good food, some treats and plenty of fresh clean water. I worm them, give them Cider Vinegar, vitamins, poultry spice you name it and I am just having no luck at the moment. My neighbour buys 20 chickens every 6 mths, the most raggety bunch of creatures you have ever see, 50p each. They are penned in a  dark corner of their garden, no grass, hardly ever cleaned out. They get 15/18 eggs a day and when they stop laying, well you get the picture. :( :( :( :( :(

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 10:01 »
The best thing to do is get the best unrelated breeding stock you can from someone who is passionate about their birds.  Then you can breed your own and you don't have the problem of introducing new stock and potential infectious diseases.

Here is the LINK for other links on Infectious diseases.  It was the first one I posted which is a Canadian site and very informative.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do but your partner is right that it is best for you to learn how to dispatch or find someone local who is prepared to do it for you on site to reduce stress.

xx
Advice needed on ill chickens

Started by foghorn leghorn on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post July 01, 2009, 23:10
by woodside farm
xx
New chickens - advice needed.

Started by kyz1981 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 29, 2012, 13:30
by kyz1981
clip
Further Advice on sick Chickens needed please

Started by Prod on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 04, 2013, 22:02
by grinling
xx
Sick Chickens - ADVICE NEEDED

Started by johncm9999 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 15, 2012, 22:50
by joyfull

Page created in 0.278 seconds with 38 queries.