Do I top up wine after racking?

• 5 Replies

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
Do I top up wine after racking?
« on: July 12, 2010, 17:38 »
Have just racked my first lot of wine. There is now a 3" gap at the top of the demi john. Do I have to top this up as I read somewhere you should not leave any air at the top.

Thanks
The reward of a thing well done is to have done it....

SG6

Re: Do I top up wine after racking?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 19:24 »
You should top it up.
Next question is with what. Few options: Plain water, water plus a bit of sugar, red or white grape juice. If you haven't used a hydrometer the I would go with water+sugar, if you have used a hydrometer then not sure, any thing will alter the present SG. Match the present SG with water/sugar solution???

You say a 3" gap now, how much was there originally? Just 3" seems a lot less and I wonder if you shouldn't have waited for the sedimant to settle a bit more then racked, hence getting more of the clear(ish) stuff out.

I tend to leave mine until the sediment is pretty firm. Then syphon it starting with the syphon a bit high. I will angle the demifohn and move the tube down towards the lowest point. A small amount of sediment gets in at the end but there is very little liquid left.

Wondering if you were too careful and left too much liquid behind. The intention is to remove most of the sediment, you don't have to be perfect.

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 19:42 »
Thanks SG6, 3" might be an exageration but I probably was too careful, I have never made wine before so didn't want to mess it up. The sediment was pretty settled but I was frightened of stiring it up.

I really appreciate the help. The hydrometer reads 1065 at the minute so I will try and match that with the top up solution.

SG6

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 21:16 »
I have never worried too much about the detail and so far been fairly succesful. Also although the sediment is composed of lots of dead yeast it will also contain some live yeast and more then is floating around in the main body of liquid. So I always think that a little will get the fermentation under way, by a little I mean a few drops. I use the sight of a little sediment starting to enter the siphon tube as the indicator to stop siphoning.

Find that the modern yeasts are very good and sediments rarely imparts a taste.

A 1065 solution should match and so make determining the final alcohol content more accurate.

Which variety of wine is it?

If a kit I would consider Red or White grape juice, simply to match the contents more accurately

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 10:32 »
Hi again

We have topped it up with a sugar/water mix to match. It is a batch of nettle wine that was put down earlier this year. Had a sneak taste when racking and its seems to be nice. Never made wine before but with all the fruit etc. we have around us here it seemed a waste not to.

Appreciate your guidance, books are ok but you can't better advice from someone who has been there before.

SG6

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 20:56 »
I am probably not the best one to get advice from. :lol: :lol: :lol: Odd reason. I make wine but I don't drink the stuff, don't really like wine. ??? ??? ??? Usually end up using it to cook with. Others seem to like whatever I make, so I must be doing something right. :wacko:

Will say that I think you should let it ferment to completion now, then rack to another DJ and sterilise (kill off the yeast - potassium sorbate).
Leave it for a few weeks then if you have one pass it through a filter, then bottle.

Best advice is: Patience.
Not caring about drinking it I find patience easy. ::)
Quite happy to let a wine ferment for 4 months, and equally happy to let it mature for a year. Then add to a nice beef casserole. :wub:

On another forum, one person has made elderflower wine, and wanting it to clear has already added 2 lots of finings, 2 different types, to try and get it clear. They cannot have started the wine more then 5 weeks ago.

xx
Big gap after racking wine

Started by suesowsseed on Homebrew

5 Replies
Last post February 26, 2013, 13:10
by AnnieB
xx
Racking day

Started by grinling on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post March 14, 2013, 20:56
by thedadtony
xx
Racking beer kits twice.

Started by hayles62 on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post January 03, 2007, 21:55
by hayles62
xx
How can i make my wine sweeter - and I need half size bottles for wine.

Started by composthappens on Homebrew

10 Replies
Last post July 31, 2013, 23:39
by Jackypam

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 39 queries.