Apple trees

• 11 Replies

engineer

• Experienced Member
Apple trees
« on: January 31, 2012, 20:01 »
Last autumn, i decided to plant 4 cordon apple trees, eveything has been fine so far ie the planting, mulching, framework and tying in. What really perplexes me is what do i do now in relation to spraying and general upkeep to keep all the little nasties at bay  :(
at what time of year would i have to do this.
I have tried searching the internet, but all i can find are articles on how to plant a tree, not how to look after it :(

gobs

Re: Apple trees
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 20:26 »
Last autumn, i decided to plant 4 cordon apple trees, eveything has been fine so far ie the planting, mulching, framework and tying in. What really perplexes me is what do i do now in relation to spraying and general upkeep to keep all the little nasties at bay  :(
at what time of year would i have to do this.
I have tried searching the internet, but all i can find are articles on how to plant a tree, not how to look after it :(

Why this is, is because they do not need molesting that much. What works does not need fixing. You need to do something, when there is a problem. Relax, have tea and cake, it's cold.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

engineer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 21:04 »
Cheers gobs, perhaps you are right, however i will keep them under very close observation, and at the very first sign of any problem, NAIL IT! ;)

gobs

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 21:26 »
Cheers gobs, perhaps you are right, however i will keep them under very close observation, and at the very first sign of any problem, NAIL IT! ;)

Indeed.  8)

They need pruning though by the book. However, I inherited some orchard on this plot I took over. Noon ever pruned them for decades. 20-50 kg fruit on the most of them.

There is more damage to be done than any use, if one does not know what they are doing. ;)

engineer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 17:30 »
Good Gobs! that's a hell of a lot of fruit!  Not a problem at all with the pruning,  :) it's those little beasty things, unless of course one enjoys the taste of maggot  :tongue2:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 17:31 by engineer »

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 17:40 »
tea cake ? no  You are a bit late but get a few pints of traditional cider and a couple of slices of good toast  heat  at least a pint and add spices to taste , take half of the mulled cider and soak the toast in it. hang this in the largest tree to encourage the birds , pour the remainder around the roots whilst singing the wassail song. It helps if you sampled a few before hand. then beat the ground with a stick to wake up the roots and drive off any nasties whilst drinking the rest of the mulled cider. then enjoy a pint of cider and slice of apple pie !  :wacko: ;)
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 17:42 »
One year my entire crop was maggoty.   >:(  Have a look at this advice from the RHS

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?PID=489
Cheese makes everything better.

engineer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 17:48 »
cheers Ice, did you get it sorted for future years?

Does Ilan come from Somerset?

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 17:51 »
I moved that year and I'm determined that my newly planted tree will not suffer the same fate. :)

engineer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 17:55 »
Well that's one way to get rid of them by moving, but wouldn't it be easier to kill them :D

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 17:59 »
Well that's one way to get rid of them by moving, but wouldn't it be easier to kill them :D
The trauma was too great, I had to leave. :lol:

leeks r us

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 19:08 »
Just planted 2 dwarf maloni lilly apple trees last year, you guys are starting to make me worry. Thought it would be reasonably straight forward. :(

xx
Espallier apple trees and prunning normal Apple trees

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 20, 2019, 18:11
by londongardener
xx
Apple trees

Started by Springlands on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 20, 2013, 21:36
by Springlands
xx
Apple trees

Started by littleorchard on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 10, 2007, 20:56
by muntjac
clip
Apple Trees

Started by Kghareeb on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 27, 2015, 23:52
by Kghareeb

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 39 queries.