Overwintering chillis and peppers

• 0 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Overwintering chillis and peppers
« on: June 05, 2011, 18:10 »
Last winter I tried overwintering both as an experiment, two plants of each. One of each survived through the winter and grew back in the spring. It was definitely a good move with the sweet pepper, because that now has several small peppers and loads of flowers, whereas the new seeds I planted in January, same variety, don't yet have a single flower on them and are still quite small.

However, I'm not so sure it was worthwhile for the chilli. The new chilli seeds I planted in January, same variety, already have small chillis on them, whereas the overwintered chilli is flowering but no fruit as yet.  So in terms of crop, the new plants are actually ahead of the overwintered one, though they are still pretty small and puny whereas the old plant is obviously a lot bigger and stronger. It'll be interesting to see whether the crop evens out in the end. Maybe it would be more worthwhile with one of the more difficult chilli varieties, but this variety (Superchilli) seems to grow quickly and easily from seed.

Anyone tried overwintering a more difficult chilli variety? I am trying Fatallii this year for the first time, and given the ridiculously small size of the plants some five months after sowing I don't anticipate getting much crop from them, so maybe they'd be more worthwhile overwintering.

xx
Overwintering Chillis

Started by galen on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 19, 2009, 00:07
by galen
xx
Peppers or chillis

Started by Remy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 12, 2009, 10:18
by abraidwood
xx
Chillis and peppers?

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2008, 13:00
by Sadgit
xx
Peppers and chillis

Started by Shelle on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 21, 2007, 22:49
by mulletsrokk

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 39 queries.