Germination problems?

• 22 Replies

jezza

Re: Germination problems?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2021, 21:13 »
Hello as Yorkie suggests it could be damping off, another cause could be if the watering can you use has been used for any weedkiller  it would slowly kill the cabbage, if the compost in the bags had any white mould on it that can prevent germination    jezza

spud

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2021, 21:27 »
Damping off could be an issue as I always struggle with watering! I dont use weedkiller so not that, but I tend to water only when they get a bit on the light side as I hate seeing them wet and fallen down, they dont all get back up!
So far I have 1x lettuce plant that has germinated and is looking healthy.... this next sowing had better work or I'm in big diffs
Best Regards,

spud

spud

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2021, 11:10 »
so far I'm having better luck this time, there are 2-3 types of lettuce that are popping up ahead of the rest.  :D

Anyone care to share which lettuce types they find do well or that they prefer?  the ones I wanted most was Red Grenoble and they still havent done that well. Black seeded Simpson is first up and in good numbers followed by Jericho.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2021, 17:26 »
A couple of years back I tried Red Grenoble from 2 different suppliers and never got a single one - coincidence, maybe? - maybe not..

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2021, 22:07 »
only grow lolla rosso now seem to last for ages picking the outside leaves and dont bolt
from bow like to grow

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2021, 21:27 »
only grow lolla rosso now seem to last for ages picking the outside leaves and dont bolt

Mine bolt! Tropical weather here in the North West  :lol: however even when they do bolt I still pick the leaf.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2021, 10:26 »
Spud, I'm glad you are having better luck now!

FWIW, I don't start any lettuce indoors. I direct-sow in the ground, and have better luck that way. The lettuce does not mind the cold at all (yes, it's warmer here on average, but our last freeze was just one week ago). If you still have some seed, give it a try!
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

spud

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2021, 11:14 »
thanks everyone, I now have some good plants coming along but the Red Grenoble have not done well only about 6x plants out of 3x different packets approx 150 seeds sown.

xx
Germination problems

Started by corndolly on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post May 09, 2007, 10:25
by WG.
sad
Germination problems

Started by mikey48 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 28, 2010, 13:41
by Aidy
xx
Germination Problems

Started by BoDuke on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 16, 2012, 18:04
by BoDuke
xx
Problems with spinach germination

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 19, 2021, 03:35
by Subversive_plot

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 48 queries.