What is the best support method for tall peas ?

• 14 Replies

wbmkk

• Experienced Member
What is the best support method for tall peas ?
« on: April 05, 2014, 14:01 »
I have some Alderman seeds, which I hope to sow in the next few weeks.

What support method is best for tall peas please ?

I know a wigwam, or long double row of canes is good for runner beans and the climbing French beans, but beans are generally spaced out quite a lot, where as peas I have seen sown are very close together.

Surely I can't be putting bamboo canes every 2-3 inches along each row.

I know, in an ideal world I would use the steel reinforcement mesh, but getting this and transporting to my allotment would probably be expensive.

I've seen very cheap and flimsy netting in the £ shops .. is this suitable ?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: What is the best support method for tall peas ?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 14:21 »
Not a fan of wrestling with bean netting, so I use long canes spaced about 15" apart, and then plastic twine tied and wound horizontally at intervals as the peas grow so they have something to hang on to.

Due to space issues I now grow them round a vertical wigwam (i.e. the canes don't come together at the top which gives the peas more room - works well if you add one or two cross-braces and at least 1 stake to stop it blowing over.)

A straight row can act like a large spinnaker when the peas are fully grown - when I last grew them like that I finished up with additional buttressing canes all over the place to hold it up, when what I should have done is use a few strong stakes as well as canes rather than just canes.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 14:49 »

I'm considering growing Alderman up a lattice of 8' bamboo canes.

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 15:20 »
I have a roll of stiff, green plastic coated wire like this but mine is wider I tie it to the support canes along the row.

This supports most of the weight and what grows taller is just held in place with twine from cane to cane along each side.

I can roll it up and put it in the shed at the end of the season  ;)

Tony, peas don't twine like beans do - you may have to tie them to the canes.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 16:59 »
Not a fan of wrestling with bean netting, so I use long canes spaced about 15" apart, and then plastic twine tied and wound horizontally at intervals as the peas grow so they have something to hang on to.

Due to space issues I now grow them round a vertical wigwam (i.e. the canes don't come together at the top which gives the peas more room - works well if you add one or two cross-braces and at least 1 stake to stop it blowing over.)

A straight row can act like a large spinnaker when the peas are fully grown - when I last grew them like that I finished up with additional buttressing canes all over the place to hold it up, when what I should have done is use a few strong stakes as well as canes rather than just canes.

Any chance of a piccie of your wigwam at some point, JayG?  Sounds interesting but I can't quite visualise it.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Maarten

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 17:00 »
I just came back from my plot where I set up a support using the wire mentioned in the previous post. Worked really well last year, although it may not have been as tall as yours need to be. It was about 1.20 meter high.

Best wishes,

Maarten

Maarten

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 17:01 »
It would have been the previous post if I had been 2 minutes faster
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 17:03 by Maarten »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 17:03 »
It would have been the previous post if I had been 2 minutes faster

:lol:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 17:57 »

Any chance of a piccie of your wigwam at some point, JayG?  Sounds interesting but I can't quite visualise it.

As you can see the peas are in my greenhouse (grew climbing Frenchies in the GH and sugarsnaps outdoors last year, but the peas got seriously attacked by thrips, so I'm trying it the other way round this year.)

The principle's the same though (albeit on a smaller scale,) and hopefully you can see the cross-bracing, which apart from stabilising the structure, stops the upright canes from bending inwards when you start adding the horizontal twines, which of course would result in them slipping down faster than Nora Batty's stockings!  :ohmy:

Outdoors, I add a hardwood stake driven in and lashed to one of the upright canes - the arrangement worked well for several years until the pea thrips came along (they grew to about 7' outdoors - I'm just a little nervous about what they might try to achieve in the GH!   ::))

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 18:29 »
Ah, OK, see what you mean, thanks.

wbmkk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 18:56 »

Your 4 cane square wigwam looks perfect. Thanks for the picture.

I think I'll try setting up a few of these along a row.

How many peas could be grown on this support, if the canes were at about 1 foot spacing.

Would I pop in the seeds, or more likely small plants  next to each cane, maybe 2 per cane .... or plant several in the internal square area

Lastcast

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 19:55 »
Read DD's Pea Advice in the FAQ section

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 19:56 »
Peas can be grown as close as 1" apart - what really matters (apart from a humus-rich soil) is that they've got something to hang on to as they reach for the sky. They don't climb in the same way that runner beans do, so all you have to do is provide something for their tendrils to hang on to, and also make sure that however large or small your 'contraption' is that it won't fall over when the going gets tough (i.e. windy!)

Headgardener22

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 04:01 »
I use a single line of 2 inch pig netting for each row of peas supported with canes every few feet.

RookieJim

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 07:16 »
I used a similar method as Jay last year. Pea canes spaced out along the row and tied some twine around as the peas grew. Not the best pic here but I think you can just about see in the top left:

British by birth, Scottish by the grace of God

xx
Support for tall peas

Started by taraxacum on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 31, 2015, 16:50
by Salmo
question
Best support for tall peas?

Started by moreteavicar on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 09, 2019, 17:54
by sunshineband
xx
Young apple tree post stake support method. Advice needed.

Started by japagow on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 23, 2010, 18:02
by japagow
question
Hurst greenshaft peas Support required (me and the peas)

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 22, 2019, 17:46
by Twood

Page created in 0.36 seconds with 40 queries.