Rotted bark chippings ?

• 8 Replies

beesrus

Rotted bark chippings ?
« on: April 04, 2014, 21:08 »
I have spent this wonderful day sorting the garden at last.
I have scooped up old B and Q bark chippings laid 5 years ago on an old concrete path. Mostly dark soil type thing now about 3 inches thick, along with roots from spreading bamboo rizomes that I have discarded. Seems a shame to waste the "compost".
Does anyone know if the resulting compost  is ok to use as a bulk standard compost on my allotment for general veg use ? Can't seem to find an online answer. Am wondering about nitrogen effect and acidity issues.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 21:12 by beesrus »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Rotted bark chippings ?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 21:17 »
If it's 5 years old it's rotted so you can use it as a mulch, or dig it in  :)

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 22:36 »
I bring in bark chippings to use as mulch and find they compost rather quickly on me. Plants are happy but they're not the ones lugging it in  :dry:

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 11:21 »
Someone said somewhere on here that bark/wood chippings don't deplete the soil of nitrogen as much as believed, but you can always add some if the plants look like they need it.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 11:29 »
It's usually me GG!  ::)

High carbon materials like wood chippings contain little nitrogen of their own, so have to 'borrow' it from the surrounding soil to feed the micro-organisms which bring about decomposition.

The nitrogen is returned as the material breaks down, so doesn't actually 'rob' the soil, although it can cause a temporary shortage, especially if present in large amounts.

(What it can't do is 'suck' nitrogen out of the soil if applied as a mulch rather than being dug in.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

beesrus

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 11:41 »
Very helpful all. Jay's explanation makes sense and gives me the confidence to use it. Almost 20 rubble bags.

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 15:04 »
If you've added something to enrich the soil prior to the bark chippings, eg fertilizer, manure, compost, etc, then there's enough for the chippings to utilize. They take far less nitrogen than people imagine and definitely return more as compost. I've used the chippings for quite a few years and haven't notice any setbacks; if anything, I've seen my plants produce better.

3759allen

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 18:30 »
i used rotting wood chip as a mulch around my raspberries and rhubarb (fresh canes and crowns) and they seem to love it. i mulched the lot with it so couldn't actually compare it to anything, so can't be sure if they would have done the same without.

i say go for it especially if they've pretty much rotted down to a compost already.

Headgardener22

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 03:59 »
I saw on some gardening programme or other that they riddled the bark chippings on their paths every few years, using the stuf that went through the riddle as compost and the rest either back onto the path or as a mulch.

xx
well rotted bark chippings

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 12, 2009, 20:17
by richyrich7
xx
Bark Chippings

Started by Limey153 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 22, 2009, 16:09
by richyrich7
xx
Fruit bed and bark chippings

Started by digital_biscuit on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 22, 2010, 22:03
by digital_biscuit
xx
Mouldy bark chippings

Started by fletch on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 17, 2010, 08:43
by fletch

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 35 queries.