let talk about these cheap chinese rotavators on ebay

• 88 Replies

new_2_veg

let talk about these cheap chinese rotavators on ebay
« on: February 13, 2010, 13:19 »
just got me thinking,

had mixed feedback from people but the main percentage have said te seam fine and as long as they are kept maintained they will be fine.

they are a good few hunderd cheaper than a branded machine but this could be down to the cheap patten honda engine fitted?

has anyone got any photos of there machines?

id be interestd if anyone could tell me the overall sizes, length helght etc.

many thanks

nathan

ps

yes im thinking about starting from scrth and replacing my rotavator
2 allotments, long standing back problem, am i mad?

Gwiz

Re: let talk about these cheap chinese rotavators on ebay
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 14:41 »
All the ones I've come across have had an inferior build quality, thin metal parts and the cheap, pattern Honda engine.
It's an unfortunate fact of life, you get what you pay for, and I'm sure that these machines will last well for a few years, but I'm equally sure that they won't be around as long as some of the other machines we see mentioned on here all the time (Honda-Merry Tiller-Norlet-Flymo, and so on)
I'm very sure that parts replacement will be a major issue in only a few years down the line, that's ok if it's just a belt you need, most motor factors will have something that might fit, but should you bend or snap the thinner blades or the thin metal handles, what then?
The allotments that I am on, bought off the Internet a M.T.D rotovator, that seems to be pretty good value for money, and the company has been around for a long time.
I would hate to see anyone dissapointed by spending a few hundred pounds on a machine that won't last all that long, it seems to me that it would make better economic sense to hire a decent machine for the couple of times a year they would use it ( my Merry Tiller sits at work for 363 days a year )
I'm very sure that there will be many, many people that have bought these cheap Chinese machines and are, at present, very happy with them. I only hope that that will still be the case if they need to get a major part for it in a few years time.

This is of course just my opinion, I repair horticultural machines all week, and as a mechanic, I naturally always look on the bleak side of any machine I see. It has been known for my workmate and I to get moved on from stands at trade shows when we get into full " that'll snap off, and that'll break, and that bit won't last long if our lot got hold of it" mode.

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 22:34 »
I would like to see video with one of these machines in action. Parts will be a problem no doubt. Its safe to say the howards and the like are over engineered, and with modern design techniques less metal could be used to obtain the same strength. But these machines do not look like lots of thought have gone into them. For long term durability from the machine, a bit more metal would be good. Time will tell.
always have a target
and an objective.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 00:35 »
I agree with Gwiz and all his points about parts. My dad bought what appeared to be a good rotovator, but after the 2nd year it became difficult to start. Dad is a mechanic but even he couldn't sort it. It was an ordeal year after year to start it and we decided by its 8th year we'd replace a few key parts. Only to find the company folded 2 years after they made the first batch. The machines were so unreliable that it was easier to close up business than do warranties or stock parts. Eventually I got the machine and had to get my burly son to start it for me, and even he could barely get it going so the machine took a quick trip to the dump. It's the old adage: you get exactly what you pay for in rotovators.
Sometimes its easier to simply hire a big powerful rotovator for a day for initial tilling, then buy a smaller reliable machine like a Merry for regular weeding, blending and such.

new_2_veg

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 10:46 »
hi,

if i got 8 years out of one id be quite happy.

the problems i have are,

i suffer quite badly  from a bad back   =  need a powered wheel machine
the trusty isnt so trustworthy             =  need to replace as cannot get parts i need
size of machine matters                      =  chinese ones are quite compact, easyer for me to handle

engine not a great problem if that go's wrong as i can ge loncin engines at a good price and iv tryed and tested them for years fault free, before i had my accident we ran them on 8 machines out of the 11 we had and never had a break down 

will have a think.  but cant help thinking that if you got 5 year out of it for that money it was a good buy

nathan

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 11:29 »
I replaced the Briggs Engine on mine with one of the 6.5 HP Honda engines. Go's like poo off a shovel now, starts first pull, no messing about, loads of power.

I think thats the way to do it. Find a  Merry Tiller with a dud engine (£100) and drop a new engine on it (£100) . British engineering + jap engine technology.   :D

new_2_veg

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 11:34 »
iv got 5 machines here 3 are good runners , but the point is i need a powered wheeled machine, not a merry tiller

nathan

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 12:19 »
As you say if you have regular use out of one trouble free for 5years + then its done its job. I doubt the engine will give much trouble so long as you change the oil ect as per instructions.

Go for it
and post the video

new_2_veg

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 12:26 »
i like to tinker so would gladly service it and regularly check it over.

will let you know what its like then
nathan

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 16:24 »
Heres mine chap.  Its a Neilsen chinese import and its been fantastic.  Ive used it for work as well as the plot so no complaints at all!

Have a look here   http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=50732.msg609451  to see the work its done today!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 16:31 by min200 »

new_2_veg

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 17:17 »
oh right,

thanks mate.

looks he same as the others doesnt it.

can i just ask how it works, the levers ect?

thanks

nathan

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 17:34 »
The two on top are forward gears and then theres one on the right underneath that is the reverse gear.

The wheels can be freewheeling then you lock them in place with a hefty pin and they turn into self drive wheels.

They all look the same but as ive said I have used this for hours upon hours with no problems at all.

new_2_veg

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 17:45 »
thanks very much for the info.

iv ordered one so will see  :)

Gwiz

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 18:16 »
good luck, I hope it lasts for years. :)

new_2_veg

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 18:52 »
me to Graham,

i know its a gamble, im not completely wet behind the ears but what isnt?  so is walking out your own front door these days.

the enginering will only be basic but as a bonus a close family friend has said he has evrything on the shelf at his shop to re-build it with new parts into a single speed front and reverse.

i have listened to what you have said and told me so please dont feel like you have wasted your time, i just couldnt see another way of getting what i need for anywhere near that ammount.

the only other thing i had chance of was a cammon with a blown engine but until it was running i had no way of knowing what the gearbox was like or anything.

thanks

nathan

xx
rotavators

Started by ianlincs on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post January 30, 2011, 20:44
by ianlincs
xx
rotavators

Started by rotavator on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 11, 2015, 20:57
by rotavator
xx
Rotavators

Started by sweet nasturtium on Equipment Shed

65 Replies
Last post March 02, 2008, 20:41
by bigsprouts
xx
rotavators

Started by Bigbadfrankie on Equipment Shed

12 Replies
Last post March 21, 2009, 19:15
by Trillium

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 35 queries.