Flubenvet

• 25 Replies

pepsi100

Flubenvet
« on: October 30, 2013, 00:01 »
I have been buying pellets with Flubenvet already in it, been on it for 2 months now

A couple of my birds has been showing the signs of gape worm, (neck stretching, sort of yawning and a rattle when she breathes)

Do I buy Flubenvet and put more in the food ?

Can they be overdosed with it ?

Is there a way of getting a liquid to put in the water ?

I have been putting garlic in their water, just to see if it helps

Edit
I understand the worms can live in the soil for a long time, is there a disinfectant I can use to kill the worms ?

I have beeen using Jeyes fluid in a watering can, I also use that to wash out the hen house (one capful to a gallon of water)

I dig the ground over as often as the weather allows, they are cleaned out every day (all the poo washed out)

Re Edit
Is Verm-X Pellets or liquid okay as a alternative ?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 00:41 by pepsi100 »
It's all about the journey, not the destination

Sassy

Re: Flubenvet
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 08:54 »
The feed with the Flubenvet added is not meant to be fed continually! Yes they can be overdosed.

Vermex is not proven to be effective for worming. You may wish to use it as a preventative but this is not guaranteed. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

pepsi100

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 08:58 »
They only sell the pellets with the flubenvet in it now

They have been on it for 4 bags now (about a month or so)

Okay I shall rule out the verm X

What shall I do if the hen does have this gape worm then ?

Will the flubenvet in the feed clear it up ?

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 10:16 »
They should not be on the flubenvet all the time pepsi, it will probably end up not being effective like taking too many antibiotics.  You would be better finding another supplier for your feed.  The feed without the flubenvet is cheaper so even if you have to travel further to get it that should work out cheaper.

All poultry stretch their necks when they are transferring the food from their crop to the gizzard.  Could it be that they are doing?  If not I would suspect some sort of a blockage and the rattling could be a respiratory infection.  If you take one of your hens to the vets for a diagnosis they will probably prescribe something for all of them.  The coming winter will be difficult for them to cope if they are not in good health so best to find out the cause and get treatment for them.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

pepsi100

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 10:52 »
Oh, well I'll gather up 2 of them and take a trip to see the vet

I wonder if this flubenvet has had an adverse affect on them ?

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 19:01 »
The vet might be able to tell you if giving them the flubenvet pellets for so long will have done any damage.  Let us know how you get on pepsi.   :)

pepsi100

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 19:08 »
Apparently not, he said only thing to do is wait and see,

The bird I took to him, he said is in a poorly way with a chest infection, I have to treat all of them with Baytril, an  antibiotic, 1.2 mil per 3 liters of water

He also gave him/her an injection

(I call him/her because I am not sure if it is either, looks like a cock, but sits on eggs)

I had to give it a shower, it really stank, so it will stay in tonight until completely dried off

So its just time now  >:(

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 19:19 »
The injection will probably be steroids, one of mine has had that and then baytril which I had to give her in a syringe.  You can use a hairdryer on a low setting to help to dry him/her off.  If the smell persists I would recommend bathing it in luke warm tea.  You will have to do it every day or so until the smell goes.

I hope it makes a good recovery.   :)

pepsi100

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 19:39 »
Not really sure what the injection was

I just dumped him/her in the shower, no flapping, no fuss, I think he/she enjoyed it, still a bit whiffy though  :(

His/her crop is empty, I have seen it feeding, I have put flubenvet free pellets in the box, but shows no interest in them at all

Still this raspy noise from him/her

The vet said its a case of wait and see about the flubenvet feed

I hope him/her pulls through because if it is a cockerel, I want the eggs  :) and we have had it from an egg

And on about eggs, I dont think my postman will be happy, no eggs for a week  >:(

ANHBUC

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 19:50 »
Add some boiled water to the pellets and let them cool before offering to the bird.  They usually like them and they are getting food and water at the same time so is good for them when they are under the weather.

Do try the tea bath tomorrow as it really does work. 

pepsi100

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 19:56 »
I have lots of different kinds of tea (well the wife has) black, green, herbal, you name it we got it (even altitude sickness tea)

I got layers mash, I make their porridge with that in the mornings, I'll try that, its usually a favourite for them  :)

ANHBUC

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 20:02 »
Good luck pepsi.   :)

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 03:13 »
What's tea bath? How does it work what do u do?

pepsi100

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 08:17 »
He/she made it through the night, he/she wouldnt eat though, but them I remembered about their favourite food, cauliflower, so I cut off a couple of florets and put that in there

It worked, even eating the mash poridge I put in there last night (I mixed in a little honey as well

There is no raspy noise any more as he/she breathes, not much poo in the box either thouigh, (but understandable if he/she hasnt been eating)

Have to give hi/her this tea bath later, though (I assume I ddont put milk and sugar in it ?  :) )

The water with this BAYTRIL goes out this morning (I have still put garlic in the water that cant hurt can it ?)

ANHBUC

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 15:46 »
That is good news pepsi, I hope he/she continues to improve.  I don't know about the garlic, you could always make a call to the vet checking.

What's tea bath? How does it work what do u do?

Just infuse ordinary tea and leave it to cool, use it luke warm to bath the bird.  It has antioxidant and antibacterial properties which is really good for getting rid of unwanted odours.  You do have to do the treatment a few times and it can temporarily affect the colour of the feathers but is a nice gentle treatment.

xx
Flubenvet

Started by Kym503 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 07, 2011, 00:28
by Kym503
xx
FLUBENVET

Started by T C on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 06, 2009, 23:46
by Lady Lottie
xx
Flubenvet

Started by Mildredsmum on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 29, 2010, 12:29
by Aunt Sally
xx
flubenvet

Started by JACDORE on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post August 22, 2011, 18:51
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 39 queries.