Cockrel swap probs

• 5 Replies

Lottieluv

Cockrel swap probs
« on: April 09, 2010, 23:48 »
I see once again there's loads of cockrels in the swap or free section . Why don't people start fattning for the frezzer???  Why people hatch of chicks then when they get aload if cockrels try and give them away I don't know if you can't house a animal don't breed it .( qote by the RSPCA)   I think that there's a few resins such as where told when young it's a hen and grows to be a cockrel . Witch a lot of breeders try and pull off. But hatching 20 eggs off and haveing to rehome at least 10 is a bit much . At least give them a free range life then take them to a butcher to be oven ready . Dot know weather I'm the only one that thinks like this . 
But I grow all my cockrels up and fatten up ready for 41 weeks old then eat chicken tends to be on the tea plate for 3 weeks in a row lol

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Cockrel swap probs
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 08:50 »
Whilst my cockerels will go in the freezer (raised as hens and free range with my girls as they are often difficult to sex until they crow) I would always try to rehome them first. Being pure breed they are a good way of introducing new blood into another breeders flock - I do know who owned the grandparents of my girls and boys so am sure about their purity). Not everybody is like us and feel able to cull their birds and nor do they want to. I will always check where my cockerels get rehomed as some can be used as training aids by people who take part in cock fighting  :mad: and likewise I would hope others on here do too.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 09:28 »
I breed silkies that are notouriously difficult to sex until they start crowing or laying..... and while the freezer may be an option for some birds, I personally dont find the black meat and skin and blue bones of a silkie particularly appitising :(  Neither do I have many chinese friends (where it is a delicacy) to offload them onto.

Until the day when you can sex an egg, it is always going to be a problem..... sorry :(

Another good thing about giving them away is that, as Joyful says, you can get new bloodlines into your flock for no outlay.

I am about to recieve a lovely blue cock bird for my girls.... and my two excess boys are going off to pastures new as well (if I can find the pm that is) :(

So not everyone wants to either kill or eat their birds..... some of them, and judging by the replies on the swap shop, lots of them , go to places far preferable than the pot!!
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

Lottieluv

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 09:20 »
Joyfull you said about cock fighting ?? There's not a lot of that happen in England tho is there?????

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 09:26 »
 :( unfortunately there is more than you realise (even though it's not allowed)  :mad:

dizzylizzie

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 11:36 »
I see once again there's loads of cockrels in the swap or free section . Why don't people start fattning for the frezzer???  Why people hatch of chicks then when they get aload if cockrels try and give them away I don't know if you can't house a animal don't breed it .( qote by the RSPCA)   I think that there's a few resins such as where told when young it's a hen and grows to be a cockrel . Witch a lot of breeders try and pull off. But hatching 20 eggs off and haveing to rehome at least 10 is a bit much . At least give them a free range life then take them to a butcher to be oven ready . Dot know weather I'm the only one that thinks like this . 
But I grow all my cockrels up and fatten up ready for 41 weeks old then eat chicken tends to be on the tea plate for 3 weeks in a row lol

Not everyone wants to eat their boys that have been raised as pets!

xx
Hen or Cockrel????

Started by cyrus1974 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 08, 2011, 12:02
by Casey76
xx
constipated cockrel

Started by monty on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 29, 2006, 19:55
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
Showing a cockrel

Started by farmerford on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 17, 2011, 20:55
by bantam novice
xx
Will Bantam Cockrel Mate with my Hens?

Started by KJ on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 26, 2007, 08:56
by kizza

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 39 queries.