Poorly hen... I think

• 4 Replies

Brian Green fingers

Poorly hen... I think
« on: February 23, 2010, 15:00 »
My Bluebelle seems to be under the weather. I noticed she had dry poo stuck to her feathers around her vent hole about 3 days ago but, she seemed to be moving around fine until today, she's just been sat on the floor whereas she usually finds something to perch on, i went in to change their water and she usually moves from me but, not today.

She's the most docile of my chooks & usually spends most of the day just standing or mooching around looking sorry for herself so it's hard to tell if there's anything wrong, as opposed to my others!

She's been eating and drinking and has recently been wormed.

I've checked my books and it could be a thousand things! Just wondering if anyone could offer some advice.

Brian Green fingers

Re: Poorly hen... I think
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 15:08 »
I've just noticed she's holding her right leg up when standing, maybe she's hurt herself when jumping off the perch? :(

too many girls

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 16:00 »
i'm sorry i've no idea, how old is she? is she laying? have you checked for a stuck egg? does her crop feel normal? is she maybe just feeling the cold? she's maybe standing on one leg to warm the toes of the other ::)a lot of mine are looking dejected at the moment, they don't like the weather.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 16:25 »
I think standing on one leg isn't too bad.  She's just keeping warm.

Generally doesn't sound quite right though?  How long has she been 'moochy'?  Though if she's eating and drinking she's probably OK.  It could just be this awful weather that's getting her down. 

Watch her and make sure she's pooing OK.  Is she laying?  Could be a soft shell on its way.  Is it possible to bring her in for a day or so and keep an eye on her?

Brian Green fingers

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 20:42 »
Hi, thanx for the replies.

Yes she has layed this morning in fact. Although she's only been laying for 2 weeks as she's still quite a young hen.

With regards to her foot, I'm certain she might have injured it, although I've checked; there's no obvious wounds.

I'm puzzled but, I'll bring her in tomorrow and keep close eye on her.

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
Please help...Poorly hen...

Started by pink-chicken on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 18, 2011, 00:37
by pink-chicken
xx
poorly leg

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 31, 2014, 13:53
by Elvira
xx
Very poorly hen; can anyone help?

Started by nellie97 on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post January 19, 2012, 10:26
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 38 queries.