Figs

• 2 Replies

Flowertot

Figs
« on: August 30, 2015, 19:30 »
When we moved house last year, we were lucky enough to inherit a garden full of old fruit trees (the lady who lived here in the 70s was a bit like Barbara from The Good Life  :)). I noticed tonight that the overgrown fig tree right at the bottom of the garden had ripe figs - I picked 1.7kg of soft purplish figs and there are more. The only problem is that neither I nor my family like fresh figs. I love them dried but would like to try making perhaps jam or chutney. What would you lovely peeps suggest? Do you have a favourite fig preserving recipe? I did look in Val &John's fabulous book but couldn't find any fig preserves - perhaps figs don't grow well in windy Wales  ;)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Figs
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 10:16 »
I have an American recipe book for preserves that has pictures that have me drooling.  I'm waiting for my fig tree to get productive enough to try these recipes  :)

Figs in brandy

750g soft brown sugar
500ml water
6 cloves
2 cinnamon sticks
2 limes -sliced
16 large figs
2tbs preserved ginger - sliced
Approx 500ml brandy

Put the sugar, water, cloves, cinnamon and lime slices into a large pan.  Heat and stir until the sugar dissolves.  Add the figs and gently poach for 10 minutes.

Remove the figs with a slotted spoon and layer in sterilised jars with the lime slices and spices.

Continue to cook and reduce the syrup for 10 minutes.  Add an equal quantity of brandy and fill the jars.  Leave 4 weeks before opening.

Fig and almond conserve

750g granulated sugar
185ml water
Zest of 1 lemon
1.5kg figs
1 lemon - thinly sliced
155g whole almonds - split and toasted
125ml cognac

Put sugar, water and lemon zest in a jam pan and cook over low heat for 5 mins.  Add figs and lemon slices and bring to the boil, simmer 15 mins, remove from heat, cover with a cloth and leave overnight.

Next morning, return pan to medium heat, bring to boil and simmer for 30 to 35 minutes, until mixture is thick.  Add almonds and cognac and cook for another 2 minutes.  Remove from the heat and leave to stand for 10 minutes.

Ladle into sterilised jars and seal.  Wait 2 weeks before using.

Either would make a fantastic pressie and would gladden your heart every time you opened the cupboard door  :)

8doubles

Re: Figs
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 11:17 »

Barter them for something you do like ! :)

xx
Figs

Started by PeterP on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post November 06, 2011, 23:20
by Alastair-I
xx
How to store figs?

Started by pattypantastic on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post September 19, 2018, 21:46
by Kate58
xx
Figs - any suggestions as to what to do with them?

Started by Oliveview on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post November 15, 2008, 19:56
by Raycrete
xx
Unripe figs

Started by snowdrops on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post October 21, 2018, 09:41
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 39 queries.