Doing what she does best!!

And me and the two blighters  ;)

F

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Re: Pets Gallery
« Reply #1201 on: June 11, 2012, 00:03 »
He went blind through progressive retinal atrophy. He was a gundog, so his owner rehomed  him as he wanted to train up another dog. he was going to shoot him, but our vet's nurse persuaded him to wait and see if she could find him a home. She asked us if we wanted him, after our greyhound had to be put to sleep. He still loves to retrieve and do as much as he can, he's the happiest dog we have ever had.
Our blind cat copes amazingly well and by her body language (tail sticking up) she's as happy as any of the sighted cats.
I'm sure you're like us - a little bit more indulgent with Jack than you should be. Amber would have been in that cream by the way :)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #1202 on: June 11, 2012, 07:47 »
Always lovely to see pictures of Jack, MJS. He really does look happy. :)

fd01, how old are the "two blighters" now? They're lovely too. :D
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #1203 on: June 11, 2012, 07:51 »
lovely springers  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Thrift

« Reply #1204 on: June 11, 2012, 09:37 »
I have missed out lately ...... all these lovely pets.

I get so many negative / horror stories from animal rescues that it is a real joy to see so many much loved pets leading a fabulous life.

fd01

« Reply #1205 on: June 11, 2012, 11:17 »
Always lovely to see pictures of Jack, MJS. He really does look happy. :)

fd01, how old are the "two blighters" now? They're lovely too. :D

Ruby is 14 months, Tex is 5! They're dad and daughter and like peas in a pod. Although Ruby has bags and bags of energy whereas Tex since his castration has slowed down and put a lot of weight on...hopefully he'll keep up in the next shooting season, i need him to show Ruby the ropes  :D

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #1206 on: June 11, 2012, 11:39 »
I have missed out lately ...... all these lovely pets.

I get so many negative / horror stories from animal rescues that it is a real joy to see so many much loved pets leading a fabulous life.

All our 7 cats are rescues - and we only actually wanted 2 or 3 but there you go. Now to add to the fun, we've 2 or 3 ferals moved into our outbuilding. So we feed them as well. I really can't understand people spending money on pedigree dogs and cats when there are so many loving pets desperate for a home in the rescue centres.

Thrift

« Reply #1207 on: June 11, 2012, 12:49 »
I think lots of people on this site have rescues John ..... it's absolutely wonderful. Your ferals will soon be moving in too  :D

However, from past experience, it's not always easy to obtain a rescue. They all seem to require a totally secure garden which, for a fit active dog, means 6' fencing! It's a pity they don't credit you with enough common sense to keep them on a lead until settled.

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #1208 on: June 11, 2012, 13:17 »
Tex since his castration has slowed down and put a lot of weight on...hopefully he'll keep up in the next shooting season, i need him to show Ruby the ropes  :D

Good to see they have a proper job to do, I think its good for any dog to have a "job" to do, a purpose and something to concentrate on, but especially for such high energy dogs like Springers.  Hopefully he'll get right into his work when the season comes round and the weight will fall off. :D

MJS

• Winner - favourite sunflower photo of 2011
« Reply #1209 on: June 11, 2012, 19:33 »

I'm sure you're like us - a little bit more indulgent with Jack than you should be. Amber would have been in that cream by the way :)

Yes he does get a bit more leeway ::)  begging at the table is a no -no in this house, but he sits so nicely, we just can't stop him :lol:

Glad your cat has settled in too.

Thanks for the kind comments everyone :D

Love those puppy pics! :D

fd01

« Reply #1210 on: June 11, 2012, 21:31 »
Tex since his castration has slowed down and put a lot of weight on...hopefully he'll keep up in the next shooting season, i need him to show Ruby the ropes  :D

Good to see they have a proper job to do, I think its good for any dog to have a "job" to do, a purpose and something to concentrate on, but especially for such high energy dogs like Springers.  Hopefully he'll get right into his work when the season comes round and the weight will fall off. :D

Yep i agree - every dog should have a 'job'. I know many may not agree with hunting but the dogs are there doing the job they were bred for. Plus it keeps me in shape, gets me out of the house and puts 'alternative' food on the table (pheasant/rabbit/partridge etc).

I'll see if i have more pics, can't wait to get my terrier puppy!! Pictures will definately be up then  :lol:

fd01

« Reply #1211 on: June 11, 2012, 21:44 »
However, from past experience, it's not always easy to obtain a rescue. They all seem to require a totally secure garden which, for a fit active dog, means 6' fencing! It's a pity they don't credit you with enough common sense to keep them on a lead until settled.

I agree with this. Going through the motions of getting a rescue pet is sometimes so difficult a process it just isn't worth it. Home check, person check, checking you are financially stable, then saying if you have a full time job you are not eligible to apply...now i don't know about anyone else but i wouldn't be able to pay for food, insurance or vets bills without working full time....vicious circle. When i was around 10 years old we tried a rescue centre near here for our first dog. 'Any dog aslong as it's good with kids' was my parents intention, we ended up being turned away for a Yorkie due to having a 5' fence  :blink: not knowing much about breeds, my parents went and bought an Alsatian puppy for the same price the rescue wanted as a donation.....i've volunteered for an animal rescue (not mainly dog rehoming) so i've been there done that, i just wouldn't look to a rescue if i wanted an animal, too much baggage.

Anyway, back on topic  :D

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #1212 on: June 12, 2012, 06:20 »
I'll see if i have more pics, can't wait to get my terrier puppy!! Pictures will definately be up then  :lol:

We'll have to see pics if/when you get a Terrier. We've decided we're definitely getting another one. :)

fd01

« Reply #1213 on: June 12, 2012, 09:08 »

We'll have to see pics if/when you get a Terrier. We've decided we're definitely getting another one. :)

Definately. What breed are you going for? A pest controller friend of mine is breeding his Lakeland x Border and is gifting me a puppy  :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #1214 on: June 12, 2012, 09:40 »
any very active breed dog does need a purpose - whether that is being a sheep dog, hunter/retriever or taking part in agility classes. My 2 older dogs are here as guard dogs as we are quite remote, but being giant breeds they require little exercise, however Rosie pup is another matter - highly active so we are going to go down the route of different tricks to keep her mind stimulated otherwise we are sure to come home one day to total destruction  ::) 

xx
Your Pets

Started by mrs bouquet on Pets without Feathers

1 Replies
Last post July 05, 2020, 14:16
by sunnywillow
xx
our pets

Started by yaxley on Pets without Feathers

16 Replies
Last post February 12, 2013, 12:59
by Agatha
xx
Pets with feathers?

Started by Paul Plots on Pets without Feathers

51 Replies
Last post November 30, 2013, 10:33
by Paul Plots
xx
Pets with Feathers?

Started by Paul Plots on Pets without Feathers

9 Replies
Last post December 08, 2012, 21:42
by shoozie

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 55 queries.