Do chooks protect their territory?

• 7 Replies

rcf100

• Experienced Member
Do chooks protect their territory?
« on: May 19, 2012, 21:11 »
Had my ladies 2 weeks now, they're settling in nicely.  Whenever I go to open the door to their run they stand by the door and try and get out, when I try and walk past them they squat down, stick out their wings and do this ridiculous "I'm too big to be moved" impression.

Now I thought that was just them standing their ground in the hope that I may leave the door open, but I'm wondering if they're actually trying to keep me out?  The reason I ask this is when I went to put them to bed last night (they were in the house I wanted to shut the door) they came out.  I didn't give them chance to do anything as I put them back in.

So do you reckon they see me as an invader to their territory? Or is it just a little quirk of theirs in the desperate attempt to get to the green green grass of my garden?

PaulineM

Re: Do chooks protect their territory?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 21:28 »
Hi

I think them squatting down is them submitting to you and seeing you as the cockerel  :D

They are probably leaving their coop at night when you go in thinking there might be a treat coming for them  :nowink:

They will protect their territory especially if (or should I say when) you introduce more hens. ;)

Chickens really are such interesting little characters, they are always doing funny little things that set you thinking  :tongue2:
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

rcf100

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 21:44 »
It doesn't appear to be submissive, I'll get a picture next time.  There won't be more.  These 3 ladies have plenty of room, but I wouldn't want to over crowd them, and they're hybrids so when they start laying in the next couple of weeks, I will have more eggs than I know what to do with.

Quails....now there's a different story!  That's what I have my eyes on next spring, but hubby not going for it just yet, will have to work on him.  Took him a while to agree to our my chooks.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 09:17 »
They should be laying anytime soon if they are squatting when you try to get into their run.  Mine do this all the time.  If you leave it a little later so they have settled on their perch for the night that should stop them running back out.  They do associate you with food and treats so it is natural for them to race to see you.  PaulineM is right about them regarding you as the cockerel who would normally be the one letting them know where the food is.   :blush:

Good luck with persuading your hubby on getting quails, they really are nice to keep and you get lovely eggs.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

splash101

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 10:29 »
we have quails too, my daughter prefers their eggs to the chickens. I think its because they are the perfect size for her

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 08:20 »
Their defensive posture is a bit like a them trying to imitate a peacock, head down tail up and all feathers puffed up!   :lol: 

rcf100

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 13:50 »
They should be laying anytime soon if they are squatting when you try to get into their run. 

Well you couldn't be more right.  Egg no 1 today  :D

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 22:04 »
First of many but always the most exciting.  Congratulations.   :D

xx
Foxes.. would they mark territory?

Started by Porffor on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 10, 2008, 17:43
by Porffor
xx
Medicated chick crumbs protect the chicks from coccidiosis

Started by mother hen on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post September 20, 2008, 00:23
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Chooks or 'Not fair' chooks ??

Started by Mega on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 20:55
by Bantymad
xx
Wet chooks

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 06, 2009, 11:54
by SusieB

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 34 queries.