Chicken run

• 4 Replies

cwmddu

Chicken run
« on: August 18, 2016, 13:41 »
Hello, I have finally moved and I'm now looking to prepare for my chicken run, they won't be in there all the time, will be let out when I am at home from work, and weekends.  How many chicken could I keep in a 7ft x 10 run ?  as usual any advice greatly appreciated

Sassy

Re: Chicken run
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 16:16 »
The area required per hen is a personal matter. Most on this forum would NOT advocate the DEFRA minimum. The rule is the more space you can give them the better. It also gives less chance of behavioural issues. Enjoy  :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

cwmddu

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 19:54 »
Thanks Sassy, we've been having a look this evening and we may  look at making our own rather than buy one, as we think we could then do it bigger, I would prefer to give them as much space as possible, sad thing is the part of our garden that we are planning to put them in is, pretty much predator safe, but I'm really afraid of foxes, we are semi urban and although I've never seen any foxes in this area I just don't want to risk it.   

Mr R Design

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 07:48 »
3 LF tops assuming the 7ftx10ft is all soil and no concreted or covered bits and that the coop is not taking up any of the 7ftx10ft floorspace.

It is basically the same size as mine and it tends to keep itself pretty clean with a decent covering of straw/hay and a decent dig over every 3 or 4 months.

I appreciate it is a case of 'the more the better' but I let mine out for a potter around the garden on average an hour a day and longer during weekends and they seem happy enough.

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 15:19 »
Thanks Sassy, we've been having a look this evening and we may  look at making our own rather than buy one, as we think we could then do it bigger, I would prefer to give them as much space as possible, sad thing is the part of our garden that we are planning to put them in is, pretty much predator safe, but I'm really afraid of foxes, we are semi urban and although I've never seen any foxes in this area I just don't want to risk it.

If you can make your own it is the vest bet but ensure good design. Put henhut on legs this gives more space for chooks. Do not rely on chicken wire, foxes can and do chew through! Use weld mesh a thickish one, sorry I cannot remember the recommended guage but the info is on this site, also with smaller rather than large holes. Weld mesh can also be used  around the outside on the floor to stop foxes digging in. Be aware foxes can jump and even if you have the sides six feet plus you must ensure there are no convenient launching spots. The roosting bar should be higher than the nest boxes. Hope this helps but it does not include everything. Do your homework and do it once well. Enjoy your chooks they give back more than just eggs!  :)

xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
Chicken run.

Started by Sadgit on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 17, 2008, 13:17
by Roughlee Handled
xx
new chicken

Started by jakinpeter on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 05, 2010, 11:01
by Jeanette
xx
Chicken Poo

Started by princesspoultry on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 01, 2009, 10:13
by DD.

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 38 queries.