Raspberries

• 7 Replies

scott40k

Raspberries
« on: October 08, 2008, 09:51 »
Having taken on our plot in late summer, we delightfully discovered a lot of well established raspberries complete with fruit  :tongue2:

However,  I have no idea what variety they are (tbh I think there's a mix) and am at a bit of a loss as to what to do next??? I have obviously read up on cutting out the old canes, but the plants have been unattended for a few years and are rather 'messy'. They are also choked with nettles, which I have cut down once, but am loathe to weedkill/ dig up for fear of destroying the canes.

I'm hoping the canes can be salvaged or would you recommend I pull the lot down, clear the ground and start again?

Any tips or advice appreciated, thanks.

blackisgreen

• Experienced Member
Raspberries
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 09:58 »
hi ,i had a similar problem last year , what i did ws chopped weeds down then cut som cardboard like a collar round the cane and covered with manure ,this year no weeds and lots of fruit.the cardboard rots down over winter .anyway worked for me good luck steve

scott40k

Raspberries
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 10:05 »
Cheers for that! This option has crossed my mind before, but I'm so confused with which bits of the raspbery canes to chop down, I look at it for a few minutes, shears in hand, and then think nah and run off to dig somewhere else  :oops:

I need to learn to be brave....

blackisgreen

• Experienced Member
Raspberries
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 10:08 »
if you can get away with no fruit for a year chop most down its really up to you mate

digital_biscuit

• Experienced Member
Raspberries
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 12:22 »
i had no idea whether mine were summer or autumn fruiting so i left them, got a mini-crop in the summer and then HUGE amounts last/this month.....

Anyone really know why you should cut old growth back on autumn fruiters??

noshed

Raspberries
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 12:27 »
When I took my plot over I had loads of scruffy rasps. I dug up a lot of them and rationalised the rest into a row and thinned them out a bit. Then I cut them all back. This means I could get the weeds out. (This was in January). The first summer I had quite a good crop, then every year since they have been brilliant.
I just mulch them every autumn and dig out the suckers and give them to anyone who wants them.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Raspberries
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 13:01 »
Quote from: "digital_biscuit"

Anyone really know why you should cut old growth back on autumn fruiters??

So the plant puts all it's energy into the new growth & to let light & air into it. It'd get a bit crowded in there if you never cut back.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

scott40k

Raspberries
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 18:35 »
Thanks for all the replies.

I think they are definately summer cropping, but there's a mix of thorney and thornless varieties. I got enough crop to make one apple and raspberry crumble (well maybe two, but I just chucked the lot in one uber crumble! :oops: ). I'm assuming this was due partly to birds and partly to the canes being uncared for  for a number of years.

So if I cut it all right back, would it still shoot next year? Or should I leave the shoots that are this years growth?

xx
help with raspberries

Started by Charl89 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 03, 2013, 17:44
by sunshineband
xx
Raspberries

Started by bendipa on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 12, 2011, 19:08
by sunshineband
xx
Raspberries

Started by bendipa on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 26, 2012, 21:22
by Dom2599
xx
Raspberries

Started by Jd1980 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 21, 2020, 17:46
by wighty

Page created in 0.371 seconds with 38 queries.