How many cue's per plant????

• 6 Replies

Pep

• Experienced Member
How many cue's per plant????
« on: September 09, 2010, 18:45 »
I set 4 cucumber plants this year.  One plant had just the one cucumber, another two had three or four but the fourth, up to now, has had fourteen large cucumbers, three small and there are still more tiny ones growing  :ohmy:.  What's the average?  I haven't got a clue how many to set next year  :lol:.

Pauline

Trillium

Re: How many cue's per plant????
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 19:13 »
Are we talking bush cuke or trailing cuke? Big difference in yields.
Even then it's hard to be specific, but you'll always get far less with bush cukes as they're more for containers. Trailing cukes, if kept well fed and watered and have more female than male plants, can give dozens per plant. I always err on the side of too much than find I haven't enough. My neighbour, who doesn't garden, is always thankful to take any surplus. But never take that as a given with courgettes - the neighbours will run when they see you  :lol:

Pep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 19:38 »
Hi Trillium,

All I can tell you about my cucumber seeds is that they were all out of the same packet but judging by the way they've taken over the garden, I'd say they were trailing.

Most of our neighbours are keen gardeners and have their own but the few that don't, plus friends, took a couple home with them after each visit.  Plus, of course, the chickens love them  :).

Thanks for replying, I'll plant half a dozen next year, just in case.

Pauline

Dave Mack

• Zillionaire
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 19:42 »
Pep if they have grabbing shoots like peas have ... then they are trailing plants , i put mine in late and got 4 big cues so far ... loads of female flowers still on it  ;)

Lottie Mary

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 19:45 »
I grew the trailing variety of cukes this year and from five plants have literally had dozens of cucumbers!  Such was the bounty in July that one day I took 7 cucumbers from the plants to give to friends and neighbours and still had two left for us.  Since the beginning of July we have had slightly more than we need from those five plants (we're a family of four).  I will plant the same next year I think - but would quite like to make some dill pickles (I'm American!), so may grow a few more of a different variety for this purpose.

solway cropper

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 23:08 »
In the greenhouse this year I've grown 1 crystal lemon and 3 F1 trailers. Just checked and yield so far is 59 fruit with quite a few still coming along. they're past their best now but I reckon the final tally will be getting on for 20 per plant.

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 19:07 »
I'm not sure what variety my cues were as they were given to me by my neigbour because he had too many seedlings. They were out door variety and very tasty. from about Mid july to mid aug i was getting a couple of cucumbers a week of each plant. Since Mid august I have been getting 4 or 5 a week of each plant, and my record haul was 12 cucumbers one week!!!!!! As you can imagine my family, friends and work mates are all loving the free cucumbers!

Kate
Always thankful for advice!

xx
Supermarket living lettuce-plant or not 2 plant?

Started by violet61 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 20:29
by violet61
xx
Butternut - to plant out or not to plant out?

Started by tomato-joy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 13, 2007, 17:09
by little sweetpeas
xx
What can i plant?

Started by gowing238 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 24, 2010, 11:15
by gowing238
xx
Can i plant?

Started by sazzy123 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 14, 2008, 19:49
by naturesparadise

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 29 queries.