1 week no lay!

• 6 Replies

kirstie1978

1 week no lay!
« on: September 28, 2011, 08:41 »
Hi everyone
I have 2 bantams, a silky and black Orpington I think she is. The silkie has gone broody 2 days ago but was laying until then, however it appear that the other hasn't layed for a week. I have searched the garden for her usual alternative spots to no avail. I had a red mite infestation which is now under control (one of the reasons I think she decided to lay elsewhere) but since treating them and the coop I have not had a single egg from her.
I know chickens can become egg bound. She seems fine in herself so I'm not really sure what's going on. I know reduced sunlight can cause a decrease in eggs but she's only a year old and it's not that dark and gloomy!! Haha!
Any advice? Since the accident I'm very tight on cash and so a trip to the vets for a check, although possible, is ideally avoided unless required. As last time I wanted to take her she turned out to be broody, I thought I'd check first!
Thanks so much

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Re: 1 week no lay!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 09:41 »
If she is generally looking alert and healthy, I don't think a trip to the vet is needed. :)

Have you noticed whether she is losing feathers recently - do you see them lying around in the run?  Even though the days aren't really dark and gloomy yet, autumn is the time of year that a chicken will often moult and take a rest, ready to start laying again in the spring.

kirstie1978

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 09:47 »
Ahh she was moulting heavily a few weeks ago but today I've noticed a fair few on the floor of the coop so that would make sense then. Thank you!! I can breathe now!! Funny how the silkie is broody and the other resting!!
Thanks

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 10:51 »
Yes - so you have two chickens and no eggs!  How very frustrating for you!

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 12:58 »
Well I have 19 pullets/hens of laying age and I haven't had a single egg for over 2 weeks.  It is incredibly frustrating, especially for those brids which are POL (i.e about 30 weeks).  I was hoping that at least some of them would start to lay this year!

NormandyMary

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 19:41 »
This weather is certainly confusing nature, just like its confusing me. Two weeks ago, we had our log burner on for a few days in a row. Now, Im wondering whether to get the electric fans out again. Its really hot, with darkish mornings and dark nights. Whatever is a chook to think?

kirstie1978

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 20:53 »
Fair point well presented!!! I have no scooby either.  The joys of good old England eh?!!

smiley
Help - New 1 week old chicks arriving next week!

Started by Stablechooks on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 12, 2009, 23:16
by Poolfield2
xx
Integrating 4 week and 3 week chicks

Started by Chickway on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post March 08, 2011, 08:19
by Chickway
xx
18 week blind hen

Started by Peter Macvean on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 08, 2019, 20:01
by grinling
xx
looking after 2 week old chicks

Started by animal mad on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 12:57
by Vember

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 36 queries.