GQT panelist feeds scraps

• 29 Replies

Jackypam

Re: GQT panelist feeds scraps
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 14:05 »
Ah, French hens are different!  Or maybe it's the diseases that are different... :unsure:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2014, 14:08 »
We are sometimes guilty of taking EU law and making it worse  :dry: as if it isn't bad enough  ::)

hen addict

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 18:33 »
Illegal or not. What possible reason could there be for not doing it ? Why boil them anyway?  Genuine question as I used to have chickens and am thinking of getting some more. They will get any leftovers of any sort - veggie that is- and I certainly have never boiled them first.

It's because raw potatoes are toxic to chickens as well as raw runner beans. Boiling makes them safe to feed.
A chicken mad addict currently owned by 12 lovely hybrid hens, 1 large allotment growing lots of  fruit and veg

Steveharford

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2014, 19:55 »
Didn't know that, hen addict, thank you.

hen addict

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2014, 21:13 »
Pleased to be of help :)

Jackypam

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2014, 22:37 »
Yes useful. I'll stop giving the raw peelings to the hens next door in France. I did check withe the neighbour that I could feed them scraps and she just shrugged (very French!),and said ' elles mange tout' and I don't think she meant that they only eat peas :D so I guess she doesn't know that the raw oeelings are a bad idea either!

hen addict

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2014, 08:46 »
I've been reading this tread with much interest, has anyone heard about the latest rubbish from DEFRA about its no longer legal to feed dried meal worms to chickens? Believe me it's right whatever next :mad:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2014, 10:01 »
Sorry Casey but the law applies to all of the EU - please read my post which shows the email I got from DEFRA which clears up any questions regarding this subject. It can be found here
Staffies are softer than you think.

joyfull

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2014, 10:08 »
the reason for the meal worm ban is because most come from third world countries and the larvae could have been raise on infected carcasses which then would infect the meal worms and in turn infect us. As I am aware this ban is already in place.

Casey76

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2014, 10:28 »
Whoops, sorry Joyful!

In that case, maybe the (my) local government need to read the national/international government rules and regs before sending leaflets to all and sundry  :unsure:

joyfull

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2014, 10:33 »
perhaps  :lol:

hen addict

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2014, 12:50 »
the reason for the meal worm ban is because most come from third world countries and the larvae could have been raise on infected carcasses which then would infect the meal worms and in turn infect us. As I am aware this ban is already in place.
yes that's what I heard as well buttttt it is still ok to feed them to wild birds? Any infection is then passed in the birds dropping on to the ground infecting the bugs, earth worms etc and won't the flies transmit any disease? Do we stop free ranging our hen? DEFFRA IS RIGHT to ban and stop potential disease outbreaks but as a total ban, not a half concocted measure. Will the day come when poultry are kept in clinical sterile conditions? Not while the battery farms are allowed to operate. These are the people to blame it's got to be 1 rule for all to stop the loop holes and the battery farms jumping in them for a cheep feed option. It's still pretty stupid for the rest of us to follow. What goes on in my kitchen is private ::)

joyfull

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2014, 13:27 »
I agree but as a responsible forum we can only point out the legal stuff, what you or anybody does in the privacy of your own home is entirely up to you. You can buy dried mealworms from produces in the UK but I still think these may be banned as I'm not sure where they get their carcases etc.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2014, 13:39 »
the interesting thing about mealworms is that they feed on vegetable matter and not on meat

maggots on the other hand are something entirely different

hen addict

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2014, 14:05 »
I agree but as a responsible forum we can only point out the legal stuff, what you or anybody does in the privacy of your own home is entirely up to you. You can buy dried mealworms from produces in the UK but I still think these may be banned as I'm not sure where they get their carcases etc.
From a legal point of view I think you have pretty much covered it, which of course you must, I totally agree a well run forum must stick to the rules and be informative about such regulations. You know the old saying " you can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink" this is such a hot topic I feel it's the individuals responsibility to take a sensible approach and look at the wider picture in my opinion the battery farms are to blame for the changes in feeding poultry personally I would love to see them all closed down but I can't see that happening in my life time :(

xx
Feeds

Started by Dopey113 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 22, 2016, 13:56
by JaK
xx
Garvo feeds

Started by cammi on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 24, 2011, 16:49
by uktitan
xx
GM free feeds.

Started by JaK on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 29, 2011, 00:34
by compostqueen
xx
scraps

Started by peggygate on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 18, 2010, 16:38
by Alby

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 40 queries.