Defra

• 44 Replies

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Re: Defra
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2009, 22:37 »
TMG after reading your story it just reinforces my idea that if you don't have to then don't. I was once told if you register then you become liable ( if thats the right word ) for your stock to be kept in a certain manner within DEFRA guidelines and if not ( and chances are in a back garden you can't)  liable for fines just like a commercial farmer  :blink: sod that for a game of soldiers I thought  :lol:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

too many girls

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2009, 22:37 »
they aint getting my girls and boys 8)

BrianK

• Experienced Member
    • melton constable village
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2009, 22:40 »
OK  quick read through the thread.  If you have over 50 birds its miore than likely that some people are making a profit...   errr  Inland Revenue.

Secondly  whos to young to remember the Salmonela scare with Edwina? 

Red tape and offialdom.

Everyones accountable.
My Blog (updated 18/7/09)

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2009, 22:44 »
Oh TMG how awful!!  :( that would of given me nightmares too!
I have registered even though i am still under 50 (just!) but i did notice that one of the questions asked If I could protect my birds from wild birds! i answered yes as i could cover the whole run if need be and maybe that would prevent my birds being culled if there was an outbreak of anything!!
briank its free to register!
Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BrianK

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2009, 22:53 »
Debbie

Conspiracy theories.  It's free to register.  Do you sell your eggs?   Do you keep accounts as to how much you pay for upkeep of your chickens and record what you sell or even give away? . Are you third party insured in case of food poisoining?

If no to either the above  then registering will leave you open for investigation.

And yes  councils do go this far.  A counciller from the district council recently visitied an allotement site  near me to count chickens and cockerels.  Not just choockies  but cockerels that might be used to fertilise and then resell eggs or chicks.

The same counciller also visits local boot sales and takes a note off all car registrations that are selling.   Apparently they count the times the same car number plates are on boot sales to work out if they are "regular" traders or jus honest johns selling off their household dodo.

Not scare mongering.Just trying to show theres a bigger picture.

too many girls

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2009, 23:05 »
one of the questions asked If I could protect my birds from wild birds!

i can't protect my birds, with 30 acres to roam in and a lake in the field with Canada geese on it?
i don't make money from my birds, nor do i sell the eggs, i have been known to give them away when i have too many, not recently as the hens are either a) on strike or b) past it.

Foxy

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2009, 23:07 »
Debbie

Conspiracy theories.  It's free to register.  Do you sell your eggs?   Do you keep accounts as to how much you pay for upkeep of your chickens and record what you sell or even give away? . Are you third party insured in case of food poisoining?

If no to either the above  then registering will leave you open for investigation.

And yes  councils do go this far.  A counciller from the district council recently visitied an allotement site  near me to count chickens and cockerels.  Not just choockies  but cockerels that might be used to fertilise and then resell eggs or chicks.

The same counciller also visits local boot sales and takes a note off all car registrations that are selling.   Apparently they count the times the same car number plates are on boot sales to work out if they are "regular" traders or jus honest johns selling off their household dodo.

Not scare mongering.Just trying to show theres a bigger picture.

what has your council got to do with defra? :blink:

BrianK

• Experienced Member
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2009, 23:14 »
Thats where the conspiracy theory fits in  :lol:

I think all government bureaus be it local or national are trying to get one database of everyone and what they do, have, breath   ;)

Foxy

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2009, 23:17 »
Thats where the conspiracy theory fits in  :lol:

I think all government bureaus be it local or national are trying to get one database of everyone and what they do, have, breath   ;)

:lol: :lol:  ;)

too many girls

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2009, 23:18 »
shush, you haven't seen me ok, i have no idea about the 50 bird rule, and anyway my names Ollie and i can't count past 20!

BrianK

• Experienced Member
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2009, 23:18 »
Too late  I have your number........ :tongue2:

wildwitchy

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2009, 00:49 »
well i just threaten them with my broomstick and it soon sends them on their way.

Joking aside. That is just a terrible story about the cull TMG.

I would be heartbroken. Makes you really think.

karlooben

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2009, 06:13 »
tmg that really sucks , i dont know if i could cope with anything  like that .
my farmer friend is litterally minutes walk from me an i was worried sick about him and his cows on the common land next to my house with the last foot an mouth outbreak. even though the place was blocked of etc u still had stupid pratts walking over there and most ppl didnt care .

i am not registering my girls and i aint about to be paying insurance or anyhting in case someone gets ill ,they take the risk with my eggs i dont force them to buy any .

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

BrianK

• Experienced Member
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2009, 08:08 »
On the serious note.  Can you house a number with someone else?  Just so it seems you have less than the set number?

too many girls

« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2009, 09:24 »
not really, i live in no mans land, i do have a hidden away cow shed (they would never have found Ellie if i hadn't wimped and told them) but i could never get them all down there in a hurry, i think i'll just feign ignorance and hope Will the vet isn't reading this! :D

xx
defra law

Started by nic_28 on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post July 13, 2012, 22:29
by Squibbs
xx
defra number

Started by MontyTom on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 09, 2008, 01:00
by GrannieAnnie
xx
DEFRA Reply

Started by Markw on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 16, 2012, 14:32
by mumofstig
xx
DEFRA registration

Started by Flowerpower136 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2017, 11:17
by New shoot

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 38 queries.